Check Out Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D on ABC

In the Marvel Comics world, S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division) is a law enforcement agency that handles strange supernatural cases. Based off of the comic book series, this ABC show airs on Mondays at 8PM.
Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons License

On September 24, 2013, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D premiered on the ABC network. It is the first season debuted by Marvel and can be seen on channel seven every Tuesday at 8 pm. The series was created by Josh Whedon, Jed Whedon, and Maurissa Tancharoen.  Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and shares continuity with films in that franchise.

In Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Clark Gregg plays the role of Agent Phil Coulson who had previously appeared in Avengers and other Marvel films. Agent Phil Coulson assembles a team of S.H.I.E.L.D agents to handle strange new cases and work together against emerging superhuman individuals in the world. The other S.H.I.E.L.D agents are as followed: Brett Dalton plays the role of Agent Grant Ward, Agent Melinda May is played by Ming-Na Wen, Agent Leo Fitz is played by Iain De Caestecker, Agent Jemma Simmons is played by Elizabeth Henstridge, and the computer hacker, Skye, is played by Chloe Bennet. In Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Agent Phil Coulson forms this specialized group of individuals with different abilities to brave the post-Battle of New York World.  All of these agents are different from each other yet unique and are just as good as people with superpowers when it is time to get the job done.

On the first episode known as “Pilot”  of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Agent Phil Coulson made a surprising appearance as he was last seen in the Avengers when he was thought to have been killed  before the battle of New York took place. However, in a surprising twist, his death was faked by Nick Fury to motivate the Avengers. Agent Phil Coulson is very sarcastic yet bland, but always seems to stand out regardless. He creates his elite team of S.H.I.E.L.D agents to keep track of a secret organization known as the Rising Tide. The Rising Tide is a shadowy group that wants to expose the S.H.I.E.L.D to the world. A new super being is introduced in Mike Peterson and is pursued by the S.H.I.E.L.D.  The premiere of the show was watched by 12.12 million viewers. Marvel’s Agents of SH.I.E.L.D has great potential to keep fans interested in Marvel Universe and appeals to comic fans, film fans, and other viewers.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D ‘s cast of actors and actresses are new and unknown to the Marvel Universe.  The characters have yet to know each other well and establish connections. They show their poise and ability to deal with high stakes in their missions but don’t have as much as experience as Agent Phil Coulson who is the leader. However, the TV show needs to emphasize more on plotting, focus towards the missions, and the agents.  There are good action scenes but nothing that makes viewers jump out of their seats. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D also focuses on several scenes where the cast members are solving things with tablets and computers which is boring and repetitive. The show has yet to reveal the mystery of Phil Coulson and how he was brought back to life.  Furthermore, Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D repeats some of the ideas that have been seen in Marvel films and the stories created from those ideas are constricted, unimaginative, and predictable.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is a promising yet unpredictable show to watch. The show might not appeal to Marvel fans as much as other viewers because they have come to expect more. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is highly recommended for viewers who have never seen Marvel films or shows in the past or want to know more about the S.H.I.E.L.D agents in general. The show has been running on television for a couple of months and will only continue to get better as the season goes on.