Colonia High Seniors triumph over faculty in Student-Faculty Basketball Game

For the first time in three years, the students defeated the teachers in the Student/Faculty Basketball Game at Colonia High.
Photo Credit: Mr. Pace

On April 1st, at Colonia High School several basketball games were held between the different grade levels and a game between the seniors and faculty was the main event.

The evening started off with a game between the sophomores and juniors. The sophomores took an early lead while the juniors trailed behind by several points at a time. At halftime the sophomores were leading by almost double the juniors points with the score being 23-12. Miraculously the juniors kept themselves in the game continuously pressing to close the point gap through the second half of the game. As the juniors continued to press they gained the lead and by the time the clock ran out they won the game by  three points, making the score 36-39.

As the Basketball game finishes the seniors and faculty return to their teams.
Photo Credit: Riley Kirejevas

The next game was between the seniors and the freshman, obviously everyone expected the seniors to dominate the game but surprisingly in the first half, the freshman were leading with a score of 11-15. In the second half however the freshman seemed to be tired as the seniors quickly took the lead and held it all the way to the end of the game. Again the point differential at the end of the game was three points with a final score of 28-25.

The last grade level game was between the victors of the previous games, the juniors against the seniors. Both teams went into the game with equal chances of winning, however at halftime the score showed the game was in the favor of the juniors, who doubled the points of the seniors to lead the game 16-8. The game became closer and closer as the end of the game approached. Within the last minute of the game seniors managed to tie the game 25-25. The crowd was getting extremely excited, the game seemed to even itself out, but in the end juniors prevailed again winning by three points with the end score 28-25.

Finally came the match everyone was waiting for, this game  started off well with both sides scoring several points, however it seemed as if once Drew Biri, the girls varsity basketball coach, was taken out the seniors began to take the lead. At halftime the score was  25-17 with the seniors in the lead. The second half of the game was even more exciting because the faculty started to close the point gap. However, the seniors maintained their lead and again the point differential was only three points making the final score 54-51, which meant that the seniors ended the three year winning streak of the faculty.