This year’s top accessory is healthy skin

A healthy glow is all you need to stand out this season!
Photo Credit: Photo via beautifulfacesdallas.com under the Creative Commons Licens

As the spring season seasons roll in, temperatures are rising and you may be tempted to show some skin to beat the heat. Here are some tips to make your skin look its best.

The most important component of healthy skin is protecting yourself from harmful rays. Long exposure to artificial and natural rays can cause lifelong effects such as wrinkling, uneven skin tones, and an increased risk of getting skin cancer. It is obvious that wearing sunscreen outside in the sun is necessary to refrain from burning. But many people do not realize that it is integral to apply indoor tanning lotions and sprays to not only protect their skin, but it will help enhance the tan.

Additionally, another way to protect your skin in the long run is a preventative method. Smoking cigarettes serves as a catalyst for quickening the physical aging process. Moreover, smoking damages skin elasticity, which can lead to more and deeper wrinkles. While it is your choice whether or not you smoke, if you are looking to protect your skin, your best option is to stop smoking. If need be, your medical doctor can offer you advice on the quitting process.

Also, it is important to keep your skin hydrated, inside and out. While it is not scientifically proven that a healthy diet can prevent blemishes, research suggests that eating along with the food pyramid can help maintain healthy skin. Lots of fruits, vegetables, a hardy helping of whole grains and low-fat proteins will help you look and feel better. Also, do not forget to drink water frequently. “The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day,” reports The Mayo Clinic Staff. Taking care of your body inside will definitely show some outside benefits. To boost your skin’s natural radiance, do not forget to use a daily moisturizer and, typically in the winter months, a deep penetrating lotion.

The final tip to keep in mind is to relax. Regulating the amount of stress you experience and how you cope with said stress can have drastic effects on your skin’s condition. Not taking charge of stress can make your skin more sensitive, and thus more prone to acne and other breakouts.

Ultimately, the easiest way to maintain healthy skin is: maintain a healthy lifestyle. Obviously life can sometimes be unpredictable. But in order to keep your skin looking its best, set up a daily skin-care regime, protect yourself from harmful rays, and try to keep a healthy diet so you can look–and feel– your best.