Girls’ Varsity Volleyball Takes Win on Senior Night

varsity+senior+girl+volleyball+players+with+their+parents+
Photo Credit: Coach Scialfo
varsity senior girl volleyball players with their parents

The Colonia High School Girls’ Volleyball varsity team managed to take the win against the Linden Tigers on the Patriot’s Senior Night. They finished with a 25 to 13 score in the final game.

Colonia now has a record of 7-14. The Linden Tigers walked away from the game with a 7-9 record.

Jess Iacona, Brielle Williams, Heather Passarelli, and Allison Rodriguez were all very strong players that day. You can’t forget about the rest of the team though, because every player on the team is pivotal in reaching a win.

“They played really well, it was one of their best games,” CHS Sophomore and Junior Varsity player Kavita Gordon told me.

Colonia was coming back from a loss the day before after Voorhees beat them 2-0. The fact that it was Colonia’s senior night helped boost the Patriots charisma, as their families were there cheering them on throughout the game.

Senior volleyball players from left to right: Angelina McGhee, Anjali Gordon, Allison Rodriguez, and Jessica Iacona
Photo Credit: Coach Scialfo

Jessica Iacona plays the important position of setter; going into the game she has a career record of 232 assists. By the end of the game, she walked away with 10 more assists. Throughout the entire game she was very assertive and led the team in the right direction. Jessica was also able to earn 4 aces, more than any other player in the game.

Heather Passarelli had some great plays that game. The ball was hit towards the direction of the bleachers and instead of letting the ball go out of bounds she quickly recovered it and passed it Iacona. Iacona then set the ball to another teammate and the game continued onwards.  Passarelli also had a couple impressive spikes in the second round of the game that really hyped up the crowd as well as her teammates.

Junior Brielle Williams lead the team in digs with 13 by the end of the game. Brielle kept the ball alive at times when you thought Linden was about to score. Her fast reaction speed and power played a big role in Colonia’s win that day.

When Allison Rodriguez went in, the points came with her. There were countless times where her height allowed her to tip the ball over the Tigers middle blocker and opposite’s attempted blocks.

Colonia played so well that Linden wasn’t able to reach a score higher than 13 points in both rounds. There were times when the Tigers would have the ball and gain some points but that just made Colonia want the win much more. Both teams played with passion and energy but at the end of the day there can only be one winner.