Fuller House: Hit or Miss?

Photo Credit: Sam Fioravanti
Season one episodes and cover art of Fuller House

Netflix released the sequel of ABC Family’s original series Full House entitled Fuller House on February 26, 2016 sparking a large amount of controversy in the media.

The reboot has had fans in anticipation since its announcement in April 2015. All of the original cast members of Full House returned for the filming of the first episode in July except for the Olsen twins (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen) who had shared the role as youngest daughter Michelle Tanner. There has yet to be a statement on whether the twins will appear in the series’ second season.

In the opening scene of episode one we are reintroduced to popular characters such as Uncle Jesse (John Stamos), Uncle Joey (Dave Coulier) and Danny Tanner (Bob Saget). Its been nearly 30 years since we’ve last seen them and things have changed. The family home has been put on the market as everyone is moving on to new job opportunities.  DJ Tanner (Candace Cameron Bure) is now a widowed mother of three boys, Jackson (Michael Campion), Max (Elias Harger) and Tommy (Dashiell and Fox Messitt). During the episode the family notices how the death of DJ’s husband is affecting her. Danny decides not to sell the house while sister and successful DJ, Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin) and life long best friend Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber) offer to move in with DJ to help raise the kids. Kimmy brings along her daughter, Ramona (Soni Nicole Bringas).

Corny jokes and arguments ending with family group hugs is what Full House is known for and is what was expected from Fuller House but that does not seem to be the case. Fuller House has taken a modern approach with the family interactions. The show includes some suggestive humor and scantily clad clothing choices for Sweetin’s character. Bure, a devout Christian in her personal life, is found in a love triangle and seen kissing multiple men in single episodes outraging her more conservative fans. Fans of the original series were also shocked to see a couple occurrences of same sex kissing. There are still jokes appropriate for all ages but Fuller House is clearly less family friendly.

Times are changing and I think we can all agree on that. Humor is not the same as it used to be in the late 80’s and early 90’s but there should still be a set line of what is appropriate for a children’s television show. As an original fan of Full House, I was looking forward to seeing some of the wholesome humor mixed with some modern but there doesn’t seem to be a balance between the two. On a positive note it is great to see the original characters all grown up.

Critics are not a fan of the new series but the outpour of returning and new fans has made Fuller House a success. Netflix has renewed the franchise for a second season and will release it within the next few months.