The CHS Girls Soccer Team Lace Up a Charity Game Against Middlesex High

Photo Credit: Photo via commons.wikimedia.org under Creative Commons liscense

The Girls’ Soccer Team have taken a stand, as they try to make a difference in the lives of others the best way they know how. The lady Patriots take concern in Pediatric Cancer, or otherwise known as children’s cancer.

Coach Carew, head coach of the Varsity Girls’ Soccer Team, believes that there are far more important things than soccer, as he stated, “ I always tell the girls about being more than just athletes. It’s something that we talk about in Colonia often with that motto, part of it being character, and I think that this is a great lesson in character, being part of a group is more than just simply accomplishing what that group has set out to do.” Pediatric cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the U.S., and despite these circumstances, pediatric cancer research is consistently underfunded.

The Go4theGoal fundraiser is a New Jersey based charity that raises funds for NJ families dealing with Pediatric Cancer. The girls soccer team have set up a fundraising website called donate.go4thegoal.org. This website allows people to donate money electronically without any concern or difficulty. The Go4thegoal fundraiser has already raised nearly $750  in the first week, and the girls are doing everything they can to keep improving this amount. The charity game itself will have a purpose to help gather those who support this cause as they watch the girls face off the Middlesex Blue Jays.

This will be the first ever fundraiser held in Woodbridge Township by a girls soccer team for Pediatric Cancer. As Coach Carew stated, “This is a great cause and a great opportunity to not only help others but to showcase the level of character that our program represents.”

Nick Filzen, a Colonia graduate and a former varsity soccer and volleyball player, was very much proud to hear about this charity as not many years ago, he himself was diagnosed with cancer. He stated that due to many close fundraisers, he and his family didn’t have to worry as much about the financial difficulties of  going through the process of this disease. Above all the treatments and inability to attend school, his friends and family were able to stay close to him and make him feel like he wasn’t forgotten. “I have been in remission for three years now. I just had my last checkup on a six month schedule and I now only need one per year,” Nick stated as he described the time and effort it took for his treatments. “This experience has definitely molded the person I am today. I think that I now appreciate friends and family more, and I understand how small things such as a home cooked meal, or a decorated Christmas tree can mean to a person.” Nick has been tremendous student and his experience didn’t stop him from leading on the soccer field or on a volleyball court.

His only advice is to always stay positive and as Coach Carew stated, “this is about building individuals and creating better people. When you have the opportunity to help others, that’s something you need to not only do but to embrace, and I think that’s part of the lesson that I’m hoping to achieve by participating in this event.”

Many girls are honored to be the first to fundraise for this cause as they impatiently wait for the September 26th kick off at 6:00pm. Colonia High School stand by their motto as they Commit to help the Community and show their inconsiderate Character, just exactly what our three C’s stand for. Making a difference playing the game they love is just a bonus.