The Lion King will change your life

Lion+King
Photo Credit: DeAndre Oglesby
The Broadway rendition of Lion King will change your life.

Seeing a Broadway play is a magical experience. If you do ever get the opportunity to see one, The Lion King should be your first choice!

Based on the animated Disney movie, The Lion King debuted on July 8, 1997, in Minneapolis. On June 13, 2006, the play moved to the Minskoff Theater in New York. The musical was an instant success, with critics giving it amazing reviews. “You will be bombarded by some of the most beautiful and spectacular sights theater can offer,” says the New York Magazine. Since its initial release, this Broadway classic has grossed more than one billion dollars.

Photo Credit: DeAndre Oglesby
The playbill and cast list for The Lion King.

The Lion King follows the story of Simba the lion (Aliyah Mastin and Jelani Renny) as he grows up and learns to be king of the pride lands. Throughout his journey, he makes new friends, battles his inner demons, and finds his true self.

One might wonder why they can’t just see the movie instead of the play. Although the movie is good, the play is on a completely different level of greatness. There’s just something about seeing a play that’s so magical. A certain feeling that you can’t possibly replicate by watching a movie. The costumes definitely make The Lion King feel magical. Each costume is incredibly creative. The giraffes are basically just people walking on stilts. However, with the lights dimmed, they have the silhouette of a real giraffe. The leopards and other puppets were creatively brought to life through a series of strings and pulleys.

In addition, the makeup and color scheme for the costumes make you feel like you’re really in Africa. I especially love the costume worn by Rafiki (Tshidi Manye). Her red, yellow, and blue face paint make her stand out. When thinking of The Lion King, the first thing that comes to mind is Rafiki performing on stage. She’s the first character you see when the play starts, and she’s on every poster advertising the play. You just can’t help thinking about Rafiki.

Rafiki Lion King
Photo Credit: photo via www.commons.wikimedia.com under creative commons license
Rafiki performing her heart out on stage.

Speaking of the characters, they’re as great as they are in the movie. The acting is phenomenal. Timon and Pumbaa had me laughing like a hyena (pun totally intended). Zazu (Cameron Pow) being outsmarted by Simba and Nala (Cayen Martin and Adrienne Walker) was hilarious to see on stage. When Simba witnessed his father’s death, it had the whole audience mourning. Hearing children crying in the theater made even more of a grieving impact. The death of Mufasa truly brought me back to my childhood.

The best part of any musical is the music. The Lion King excels when it comes to music. When first hearing Rafiki sing The Circle of Life, you’re immediately filled with energy and excitement. It’s a completely different experience from listening to the film version of the song. Hakuna Matata is a personal favorite of any Lion King fan. The song is upbeat and full of energy. In addition, it’s incredibly catchy. I couldn’t help resist singing along to this classic song. It was the perfect musical number to end the first act of the play.

However, there is one song that trumps all others in The Lion King; and it didn’t appear in the movie. And if it wasn’t for this song, Hakuna Matata would undoubtedly be my favorite. There are no words in the English dictionary that can describe how great He Lives in You is (Reprise), He Lives in You is sang by Rafiki, in order to inspire Simba to get over his father’s death and go back to Pride Rock. But this song didn’t only inspire Simba, it inspired audience members as well. The song starts out slow, but by the final verse, the entire stage explodes in lights and singing. It is without a single doubt the best musical number in the play.

If you’ve never seen a Broadway play in your life, make The Lion King your first. Bring your family, bring your friends, because this musical will truly change your entire life.

Tickets for The Lion King can be found on the official website, ticketmaster.com, or broadway.com.