The Great Barrier Reef to die indefinitely

Coral bleaching shown above proves disastrous for this natural wonder
Photo Credit: Photo via flickr.com under the Creative Commons License

Australia’s Great Barrier Reef has been declared by scientists to perish due to the changing climate killing off its coral.

The Great Barrier Reef is home to over 1,500 species of marine life 411 different types of coral. Without a proper meeting ground for aquatic life, animals can suffer when it comes to a food source and mating.

The coral that makes up the Great Barrier Reef  has succumbed to mass amounts of bleaching. This means that the coral has been stressed by changes in condition causing them to expel the symbiotic algae in their tissue causing it to itself white henceforth the term bleaching.

The factors that contributed to this cause is changing sea temperatures,  oil spills/ dredging and predators.

The earth is currently going through a global warming crisis. Human life is mostly to blame for events like this to happen. Oil Spills, Waste and burning of fossil fuels are the man concern. These Co2’s and other toxins are burned and turned into a gaseous state which become trapped inside of earths atmosphere and heat up and pollute the air.

Along with air quality declining across the globe it contributes to the deconstruction of the Ozone layer which is meant to keep greenhouse gasses out but is slowly dwindling and leaving an open hole in the atmosphere.

What can you do to preserve what’s left of The Great Barrier Reef? The damage cannot be reversed but it can be stopped. Reduce waste and carpooling to reduce the amount of Co2’s released into the air.

Based on scientific fact, The loss of the coral reef will strongly impact the ecosystem. It can destroy populations of marine life and its up to the human population to preserve and nourish our planet for a sustainable future for not only us but the other living organisms that inhabit our planet.