DeGeneres hosts the 86th Annual Academy Awards

Who were the winners and losers of the coveted Oscar awards this year?
Photo Credit: Photo via Flickr.com under the Creative Commons License

This year was the 86th Academy Awards hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. This year there were a ton of great movies and each of them deserved their Oscar nomination .

For numerous years the Oscars have had very mediocre hosts; but, this year Ellen made it a very enjoyable evening. Her monologue was short and sweet, not like Seth MacFarlane’s very dull and dragged out monologue. The rest of the night Ellen did things that no other Oscar host has done. She changed outfits, dressing up as Glinda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz, making Twitter crash, and ordering pizza for the actors. She was wonderful and I believe that many other actors would like her back next year.

oscars
After an inspiring speech, Jared Leto accepts his Oscar to Dall Buyers Club.

This year many actors grabbed their first Oscar. Matthew McConaughey won Best Actor and Jared Leto won Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Dallas Buyers Club. Cate Blanchett won Best Actress for Blue Jasmine and Lupita Nyong’o won for 12 Years a Slave. In Jared Leto’s speech, he thanked his mother for supporting him throughout his career. Lupita Nyong’o thanked her director and everyone else from the film, thanked her family and thanked the real life people, who were portrayed in 12 Years a Slave. Her speech was great and it made my mom cry. Matthew McConaughey’s speech was my favorite from the night. His speech was so memorable and hilarious. He thanked his father who had passed away, “I know he’s up there right now, with a big pot of gumbo. He’s got a lemon ring pie over there; he’s probably in his underwear, and he’s got a cold can of Miller Lite, and he’s dancin’.” He talked about his family being there for him and that he is his inspiration. He ended the speech with his most famous words, “All right all right all right.” That was probably the best speech of the night.

Gravity this year grabbed the most awards, winning seven Oscars. The movie won: Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best

During the Academy Awards, Pink sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to celebrate Judy Garland.
During the Academy Awards, Pink sang “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” to celebrate Judy Garland.

Sound Mixing, Best Visual  Effects, and Best Director. Sadly though films such as Philomena, American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street did not win any awards despite numerous nominations. Her won one Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. 12 Years a Slave won three awards which were Best Picture, Best Adapted Film, and Best Supporting Actress.

Frozen easily grabbed Best Animated Picture and Best Original Song. Speaking of songs, Pink sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow to commemorate The Wizard of Oz’s 75th Anniversary. Karen O and Ezra Koenig performed The Moon Song from the movie Her. Idina Menzel sang, Let it Go from the movie Frozen. Speaking of Idina Menzel, before she performed, John Travolta said her name as “Adele Dazeem.” Other than that, the song performances of the night were good.

This year’s Academy Awards were fun and more memorable than all the other years. Ellen made the night fun and entertaining. The speeches and singing performances were great to see. Also, the actors and actresses at the Academy Awards actually enjoyed their time being there, thanks to Ellen. Here’s hoping we see Ellen will back next year to deliver another fantastic Oscars.

For more imformation on the nominees and winnes of the Oscars visit .