Who is the best dressed male teacher?

Photo Credit: Michael Albanese
Mr. Carew exemplifies conservative style in the form of a sweater

Examining the male teacher style rivalry in Colonia High School: What makes up the ideal professional look? What impact does it have in the classroom? And who is dressed the best?

Colonia High is brimming with youth in recent years. Not just the students, obviously, but the teachers. There are plenty of educators in the school in their twenties and thirties. And with a bevy of younger teachers, new methods of teaching are brought into use. But improved ways of instructing aren’t the only new trend among CHS staff members. They also bring a new sense of professional style to the high school atmosphere. And they’ve created quite the rivalry.

Many students, as well as teachers, point to Mr. Drew Biri, a history teacher with a penchant for sweater vests, as the spark for rivalry. Fellow history teacher and CHS style icon Mr. Scott Williams said, “Definitely Mr. Biri,” when inquired about who may have started the style competition. However, English and yearbook teacher Mr. Salvatore Cerchio claims that he could “care less about how they [other teachers] dress.” Mr. Stephen Carew, of the English department, goes as far as to suggest that the rivalry of sorts is “made up by teachers.” He also says: “Fashion is subjective, so there’s no way to judge it.” Wise words from Mr. Carew. Conversely, Mr. Biri proudly proclaimed that there have been “no rivalries since I’ve been here.” Through the sarcasm and modest words I think we can assume a rivalry does indeed exist.

“The only ties I believe in are the ones around my neck.”

— Mr. Drew Biri

But what creates such a candidacy of style? To answer this, one must investigate what the fashionable teachers of CHS are wearing these days. Mr. Williams is a purveyor of online shopping; a true bargain hunter who still maintains a consistently color coordinated wardrobe. But “watch out for shipping fees,” he warns. Williams is also a fan of American Eagle Outfitters and Express. Mr. Biri says he likes to keep it classic, opting for Polo, J. Crew, and Banana Republic. Although according to him, he is still “waiting to be picked up by a designer.” Mr. Cerchio, cardigan connoisseur, is a wearer of Gap clothing; however, he wants to be clear, his mother shops for him.

Colonia High educators seem to have a similar sense of professional fashion. So what do they think makes them unique? Mr. Carew admits that he is not too unique, but it’s all about “how you wear it.” Each teacher has something unique about their style. For Biri, it’s the infamous sweater vests, as well as the beard, earning him the nickname “Mr. Beardy,” as so aptly used by Mr. Williams. Williams himself is known around CHS for his brightly colored pants. As stated, Mr. Cerchio has made cardigans an almost daily part of his outfit.

When it comes to the classroom, the teachers tend to agree that dressing well leaves a good impression on the students. Mr. Cerchio says it “gets his students off guard,” as they expect him to be serious with such good attire, alas he can also be fun. Mr. Williams proclaims: “don’t look sloppy; appearance is necessary in the professional atmosphere.”

So if such a rivalry exists, who is the winner? Though he claims the rivalry was nonsense egged on by teachers, Mr. Carew professes himself as the best dressed. Cerchio refutes his claim, saying the best dressed is “definitely not Carew,” but himself. More modestly, Mr. Williams concludes that there is a three-way tie between Biri, Carew, and Cerchio. Upon hearing that news, Mr. Biri proudly proclaimed: “The only ties I believe in are the ones around my neck.”

View Comments (2)