Stage Crew

April 4, 2018

Photo Credit: Photo by Rebecca Melton
Senior Stage Crew Member Melissa Ngai begins to move jail cells backstage.

On-Stage

Stage Crew is a group of students in charge of getting the set pieces on and off the stage. Members of Stage Crew are required to be quick and quiet as work with heavy, loud set pieces. To be in Stage Crew, one has to be quiet and dexterous.

Stage Crew puts a large amount of work into Hairspray. They rehearse just as much as the cast does and get half the credit. They move the set pieces and set everything perfectly into place. Without Stage Crew, the stage would be blank at all times.

Senior Crew Member Melissa Ngai reported, “We sacrifice a lot of our time that could be used on studying for AP Tests and applying to colleges, and it’s really hard this year because we have a lot of elaborate sets and prop pieces and things that need to be moved that require a lot of effort and maintenance.”

Photo Credit: Photo by The Declaration
Senior Anthony Piccini runs out in a costume Stage Crew Senior Skylar Trela changed him into.

Off-Stage

Stage Crew’s job does not end when the show ends. Their work offstage is just as important as their work onstage. Stage Crew members are responsible for all props. They make sure all cast members receive and return their props. Stage Crew also sets up and takes down the prop table, and makes sure no props gets lost. They are responsible for finding or replacing missing props.

Stage Crew also helps in many other jobs, they will help if any other job needs assistance. If a Stage Crew Member has nothing to do, they will assist the other jobs. For Hairspray Stage Crew Senior Senior Skylar Trela was in charge of all of the costume changes for the character Tracy Turnblad. Quick changes need to be rehearsed almost as much as the show so that the timing is perfect.