How many times do you hit the snooze button each day?

South Vietnam Surrenders

Photo Credit: Photo via Flickr under the Creative Commons License
Taking aim, U.S. Marines Stand together at a Village in Vietnam during 1968.

Today in 1975, South Vietnam surrenders to the North after a quick and easy assault. With a rapid departure of U.S. support, South Vietnam became a shell of its former self.  North Vietnam saw very little resistance for their assault on the capital city of Saigon.  North Vietnam troops smashed Tanks right through the gates into Saigon with ease and began their attack.  The attack was extremely short do to the poor resistance of South Vietnam; Colonel Bui Tin of the North openly accepted the South’s surrender.

The Vietnam War came to a close and to the eyes of Tin, the only loser was America as any Patriot of Vietnam would view the event as the ending of War in their country. Tin was indeed correct, as the Americans invested a large sum of money to eventually leave Vietnam and have their side lose. Returning troops didn’t fair any better,  they were treated poorly and were often called things like  “Baby Killers”.