Swimming Patriots are ready to dive into a season

The+swim+team+gets+roweled+up+for+the+meet+with+a+loud+cheer.+
Photo Credit: Photo by Lors Photography from Lors studio used with permission.
The swim team gets roweled up for the meet with a loud cheer.

Reuniting for another winter season

In the chilly early morning of Nov. 25, the Colonia High School Swim Team (the Swimming Patriots) held their first meeting of the season. Coach DeGraw lead the meeting to reunite all swimmer athletes before tryouts held November 12.

Returning swimmers are anxious to decrease their swimming times, as well as, are eager to swim in upcoming events at the swim meets. Yet in the crowd of veterans, there are many first-year swimmers that are eager to join the team.  “I am very excited about joining the team,” said Maya Ovoz, a freshman swimmer. “I like swimming and I am looking forward to improving my speed and my diving technique.”                             

Swimming tryouts are very exciting but also a very anxious time for everyone. Coach DeGraw looks for the dedication of the swimmers to the team rather than their individual skills. “About 50 people signed up for the try-outs, not everyone will make it. That is why, for this tryout, you should show that you want to be apart of this team.”

Conditioning and Training

Making the swim team is an an accomplishment in itself, but the commitment to practices is a completely different story. The Swimming Patriots condition five days a week for about 90 minutes at the Woodbridge Community Center pool. Practices usually run after school until about 5:30 P.M. But it is not rare for the Swimming Patriots to start their day by jumping into the pool. For the swim team, morning practices start as early as 5:30 A.M. Practices focus on the improvement of the team as a whole. Swimmers run drills, swim in medley races and do workouts to improve their swimming speed.

Mr. DeGraw also has the opportunity to coach his swimmers individually, working on any particular skill they would like to improve.“We are willing to work with everyone, ” stated Coach DeGraw during the meeting. “We are not expecting anyone to be Michael Phelps, but we want you to try your best.”

Events outside of swimming

Throughout their vigorous training, swimmers have many events to look forward to in their season. One such event is the annual Applebee’s flapjack breakfast fundraiser. After, selling 10 Applebee’s breakfast tickets, the swimmers get together on a Sunday morning to serve their family and friends. Another exciting event is their end of the season pasta party at a fellow swimmer’s house.

The Swimming Patriots are credible for their victories and strong sportsmanship. In 2016, the team rated the #1 Sports Team in Colonia High School for their accomplishments and amazing influence on the school. They also came in first place in the swimmers’ White Division and are known as the undefeated champions of Woodbridge Township.

The Swimming Patriots’ 2017-2018 season record was 8-2 with tough losses to Edison and Metuchen. With top swimmers, Monika Burznska and John Piccnic graduated, the Patriots anticipate new swimmers standing upon the podium stand. The Swimming Patriots dive into their season on Dec. 5 against cross town rivals, Woodbridge at 3:30 P.M. at the Woodbridge Community Center.