• Delayed Opening Dec. 17th-19th PARCC Testing

• Interact Club Movie Trip Dec. 20th

• NO School Winter Break Dec. 22nd - Jan. 1st

• Early Dismissal Winter Break Dec. 21st

• Early Dismissal Dec. 12th-14th PARCC Testing

Editorial: this NFL season has surprised everyone

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seen here is the famous Lombardi trophy, which is given to each team that wins the Super Bowl.

Photo Credit: Photo via Pixabay under Creative Commons License

By: Zachary Kaye, Sports Editor

The National Football League is full of surprises, and through just ten weeks of the long 2018-2019 NFL season, it has definitely not disappointed.

Just a season ago, NFL fans all over were shocked seeing the Patriots lose to the then Super Bowl-less Eagles. Now, not even a full year later, neither the Patriots or Eagles are a top three team. That title belongs to the Rams, Chiefs, and Saints. All three of these teams did not even make it past the Divisional Round of the playoffs last year. While the Patriots still remain at the top of their very poor division, the Eagles are sitting in third of theirs. This is especially disappointing since they were able too retain every starter from a year ago. This might make no sense to most people. If they have everybody from last year how are they not just as good? My answer to that is simple… this is the NFL.

Things like this happen every year in the NFL. Teams that were bad the season before are finally able to put everything together. Sometimes all a team needs is one certain player to get them on the road to success. 

This is definitely the case for the Chiefs this season. They are sitting on a nine and one record, and have really dominated most teams they have played. The team decided to hand the quarterback reigns over to second year guy Patrick Mahomes. This decision definitely paid off for head coach Andy Reid. It only took Mahomes ten games to break the all-time franchise record for touchdowns in a season. They are also one of the three top teams in terms of both points per game and total yards for game. While they have not been successful in the playoffs the last few seasons, it is probable that with this high-powered offense, this could truly be there year.

The other two top teams in the league, the Rams and Saints, also have only one loss. These teams, much like the Chiefs, have extremely dominant offenses.  The Saints are led by future hall of famer Drew Brees while third year stud Jared Goff commands the Rams. When the two teams played this year, they put up a combined eighty points. Although the Saints were able to win that game, it would surprise nobody to see the Rams get a chance at revenge in the playoffs.

While these three teams have taken the league by storm, there are a bunch of other teams that have improved too. Some to go from decent to extremely competitive, and vice versa. One of those teams is the Chicago Bears, who only managed to win five games last year. They have already topped that total this season, and have shown no signs of stopping. They are sitting in first place in the NFC North in front of teams like the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings even made it to the NFC Championship last year.

This is a very similar scenario to the one of the Washington Redskins. The Redskins are in first place in the NFC East division and seem to be under everyone’s radar. They are even in front of last years Super Bowl Champions the Philadelphia Eagles, who can’t seem to get back to where they were. The Redskins only won seven games last year, and one more win this season already would match that.

Just like every year, the NFL always provides drama and entertainment. Lucky for fans all over the globe, we are still only through ten weeks of this long season. No one should think that their team is safe where they are, because you never know what is going to happen in this league. In conclusion, there is only way to put it… the National Football League is and always will be full of surprises.

Zachary Kaye, Fall Reporter

Zachary Kaye is a 17 year old Senior at Colonia High School, with his birthday on September 30. He plays football for the school and is a captain of the...