• CHS - Open House/Curriculum Orientation Feb. 7th

• Early Dismissal January 30th & 31st - Finals

• No School January 21st Martin Luther King Day

• Home Varsity Wrestling Match Wednesday and Friday at 6

• International Thespian Honor Society Induction January 10th

Ways companies and organizations give back

Photo Credit: photo via wikimedia commons under creative commons license

By: Angelique Richardson, Editor

Many companies or organizations exist solely to obtain money through their products because money makes the world go round. But some businesses exist for good reasons. 

John’s Crazy Socks

John’s Crazy Socks is a business founded by John and Mark Cronin. The business started during John’s senior year of high school. John decided that he wanted to go into business with his dad. Like most people, he knew he could love his job if it felt like it wasn’t a job at all. Crazy Socks, John believes, can spread happiness. The duo gives five percent of their earnings to the Special Olympics.  In addition, they also make awareness socks.  These socks have themes such as autism and down syndrome awareness socks. This is a company that cares for others. It is shown by a simple handwritten thank you note, and a pack of candy with your sock delivery. Same day shipping, and for those close by personal delivery, is available.

Starbucks Signing Store

In October 2018, Washington D.C welcomed a new Starbucks store. But what exactly makes it so different from the many across the map, is its purpose. The store, just down the street from Gallaudet University, incorporates American Sign Language (ASL). All employees are fluent in ASL. The lights are set to help people see without a glare. The store has a matte finish on tables and counters to reduce visibility distractions. Although it looks directly like every other Starbucks with its green aprons and big smiles, this store has a goal. It hopes to bring together all types of communities. Specifically the deaf community because of its lack of recognition. Its proximity to Gallaudet University gives deaf students an opportunity at a job. Which is something they rarely have because people consider them a risk.

Beyond Type 1 Snail Mail

A pen pal is someone you can write letters to back and forth. It creates friendships and even romance. Snail Mail Club is a pen pal program made by Beyond Type 1. Beyond Type 1 is a type 1 diabetes organization created by those with type 1. Snail Mail pairs you with another diabetic that has similar interest and is the similar age as you. It figures out this information by having you answer some questions about yourself. The organization then sends you a starter kit. The kit contains what you need to write your first four letters.

The Walt Disney Company

Disney world is dubbed the happiest place on earth. But did you know that The Walt Disney Company gives back? Since 2012 Disney took time to donate over 61 million books to children and schools. In 2017, they gave over $348 million to nonprofit organizations to help families and communities. December 5, 2018, Disney gave Make-A-Wish $3 million.  For the amount of money that this company makes, they often give some back.

Free Rice

Poverty is something that many people face on the daily. Even in places that we may not think of.  Free Rice is a website that donates 10 grains of rice for every multiple choice question you answer correctly. The website gives through The World Food Program. It includes questions in subjects such as English, math, humanities, chemistry, language,  geography, sciences and test prep. So while people are learning, they are also donating to the world.

It is nice to know that there are businesses that give back, aid the community, and support a cause instead of finding ways to milk people for the out of the almighty dollar. In a world infected with greed, a sparkle of hope exists in businesses like these. Please continue to support these companies and companies with the same work ethics. These diamonds in the rough need our support.

Angelique Richardson, Senior News Editor

Angelique Richardson is a 17 year old Senior at Colonia High School. She enjoys spending free time reading, writing poetry, practicing music, and taking...