2019 Baseball Season is looking like a home run

Back to Article
Back to Article

Second baseball game of the season against Woodbridge

Photo Credit: Kerri Lishak

Photo Credit: Kerri Lishak

Photo Credit: Kerri Lishak

The Colonia Boys’ Baseball team is more prepared than ever to jump into the 2019 season. Hoping to be just as successful as last year, the team has countless numbers of hardworking practices every week. As the season begins, the team shows up to every game with energy and determination.

The Patriots had a very successful 2018 season, being named the White Division Champions. However, the team lost many talented seniors including: Frank Lehmann, Jason Hilenski, Chris Michael, Nick Michael, Anthony Palmisano, Matt Zawacki, and John Rodriguez. Due to the fact that Colonia lost so many seniors, the crowd can expect to see new faces out on the field.

Pitchers

Junior, Nick Nielson, returns to the mound with even more talent than the year before. Nielson has been a varsity player for three years and is already verbally committed to Wagner University. He’s a team player and comes to every game ready to win.

“I’m excited to be back on the field,” Nielson stated. “This season I hope to be better then before and I think I’m on track to do so.”

Colonia is lucky to have Nielson as their pitcher, but Noah Ruiz, CJ Miller, and Joseph Kroner bring much talent to the team as well. Junior, Noah Ruiz, is dominating on the mound. Ruiz made it look effortless to strike out players as they went against their cross-town rivals, Woodbridge High School. They took home their first win of the season with a score of 6-4. Ruiz is expected to do big things this season.

“It feels good to start off the season on a high,” Ruiz stated. “I’m ready to dominant this season and continue to pitch well.”

Senior, CJ Miller, returns and is ready to take home more victories in his final season. Freshman, Joseph Kroner is just at the beginning of his high school baseball career and has already struck out five players in his first varsity game. Colonia is anxious to see how Kroner helps impact the future of baseball at Colonia.

Infield

Matt Flammia is a new face to the varsity team and the starting catcher for Colonia. He’s already made some amazing plays, making it nearly impossible for opponents to steal bases. Flammia is expected to follow in Palmisano’s footsteps and become even stronger throughout the season.

Another new face to the program is first baseman, Harrison Brindley. Brindley had his first varsity hit against North Brunswick, leading them to victory. Along with Brindley, senior and second baseman, Nick Scherb has two hits and two runs for Colonia. Also, senior Tommy Mitch who plays shortstop, has had two runs and one RBI in the 2019 season so far. Although it’s Mitch and Scherb’s last season, it looks like they’re going to be very successful.

Outfield

Colonia has another strong outfield this season including: Lou Matten, Kenny Shinski, Joseph Kroner, Will Orak, and Ryan Balog. Matten has three hits and three runs so far. Shinski is the starting center fielder with five hits and scoring one for Colonia. Right field is played by Orak, Balog, and  Kroner when he’s not dominating on the mound. Orak had one hit, along with two RBI’s against Woodbridge and Balog scored one run against North Brunswick.

The Patriots’ Baseball team has some talented players and major potential as they continue. We’re all excited to see what Coach Scialfo and the team have in store for the 2019 season.

About the Photographer
Kerri Lishak, Reporter

Kerri Lishak is a 16 year old sophomore at Colonia High School. She attended St. John Vianney her whole life and enrolled in public school her freshman...