New Jersey’s laws in 2019 are advancing by the years

Photo Credit: photo via wikipedia under the creative commons license
In 2019, New Jersey has made some very critical improvements to help the state of New Jersey

A look back at the accomplishments of the New Jersey Assembly Democrats. There is no doubt that New Jersey has done plenty of positive things for Jersians.

In 2019 New Jersey raised the minimum wage, expanded family leave & fought for maternal health. They passed sweeping anti-hunger legislation and reformed marijuana laws & made Jersey roads safer.

Certain places are not required to pay minimum wage. Some examples are nursing homes, boardwalks, summer camps, and libraries. The truth is that $8.50 is not enough in this state. Gradually raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2024, moving towards economic fairness to all working families in New Jersey. As of 2020, the minimum wage is 11 dollars an hour.

The family leaves: Making New Jersey’s family leave Program more accessible and affordable for workers by expanding time, compensation and coverage.

Gun safety:

A series of commonsense gun safety bills that reaffirm New Jersey’s commitment to protecting residents.

Driver’s license expansion:

Governor Murphy spoke up about the news, “Expanding access to driver’s licenses is critical for the safety of New Jerseyans and a step toward building a stronger and fairer New Jersey for all. This will decrease the number of uninsured drivers and increase safety on our roads. I thank my partners in the Legislature for sending this important bill to my desk.”

Criminal justice development: two major pieces of legislation to reform New Jersey’s criminal justice system: reforming the state’s expungement process and restoring voting rights on probation or parole.

Fighting hunger:

New Jersey is one of the wealthiest states in the nation. Yet, hunger is a consistent issue. Kids are receiving school breakfast and summer plans. In May 2019 the Campus Free Hunger Act was signed into law.

A sweeping anti-hunger bill package addressing the reduction of food waste. Helping farmers, providing increased information and tackling food insecurity among college students. In New Jersey, the food insecurity rate is 13%, with 1,141,890 people being food insecure. The number of children living in extreme poverty rose an alarming 32% from 2008 to 2012. New Jersey created a food program called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. “NJ SNAP is our State’s most critical anti-hunger program and the first line of defense against food insecurity.”

A bill package to raise awareness, provide education and offer evidence-based solutions for rising disparities in mental morality.

SALT deduction: to reverse the negative effects of the federal tax reform. The Assembly moved legislation to create a federal SALT workaround for small businesses, which will save them $450m annually.

Plastic bag ban: lawmakers advanced to forbid single-use plastic and paper bags. Supporters say the bill will remove toxic plastics clogging waterways. More than three-quarters of the litter found on New Jersey beaches is plastic, according to data collected by Clean Ocean Action. The plastic trash becomes concentrated on beaches and in the ocean after being swept away by rivers and streams and contaminates marine life.

2019 was a hard year for some people and for others’s it was their best year, whatever it may be, New Jersey is trying their best to improve themselves. May 2020 and beyond be a good year as well.