Due to this movie success, this movie box office was 180.6 million. 

Photo Credit: Photo via IMBd.com under the Creative Common Licenses

Sweet Home Alabama is a Valentines Day must

Sweet Home Alabama is a romantic comedy movie starring Reese Witherspoon, Patrick Dempsey, and Josh Lucas. Sweet Home Alabama is a classic romantic comedy movie that would be perfect for watching on Valentine’s Day.

Summary

Sweet Home Alabama is a movie that revolves around a love triangle. Melanie Smooter is a New York City fashion designer who is originally from a small town in Alabama. In NYC, Smooter gets engaged to Andrew Hennings, who is the son of New York’s mayor. Hennings is a charming man and is New York’s most eligible and most wanted bachelor. Smooter has to fly back home to Alabama before she can get married to Hennings. In Alabama, Smooter has to finalize her divorce to her high school sweetheart, Jake Perry. Hennings assumes his fiance went back home to Alabama to see her family. Little does he know that she is technically married.  Hennings also thinks that Smooter comes from a successful and wealthy background just like him. In Smooter’s journey to Alabama, she realizes the actions she has to take to find her happiness.

Review

This movie is one of the stereotypical romantic comedy movies that would be perfect for watching on Valentine’s Day. Smooter is caught between her first love and her new love. Smooter journey helps her get clarification on whom to pick at the end. Watching two people who went their separate ways long ago and come back to find their way to each other many years ago later shows the audience that if you love someone and you set them free, and if they come back, it’s meant to be. 

Due to this movie success, this film won the Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Comedy in 2003.

Witherspoon played the stereotypical southern bell in this film. Witherspoon’s character was charming, sweet, and knew how to get what she wanted. In addition, Witherspoon is a southern bell herself; she fit the role perfectly. Witherspoon seemed to be playing herself in this film, but it worked. 

Next, Dempsey played the charming, confident, forgiving fiance. Dempsey characters he played in the past were charming and confident characters, so at this point, I always associate these types of characters with Dempsey. In my opinion, Dempsey was meant to play this role, and he is the only actor I can think of can play this role perfectly. Dempsey is handsome, charming, and confident in real life, so he basically just played himself in this film. 

Lastly, Lucas played the ex-husband, who lives in a small town in Alabama. Lucas played the stereotypical role of a southern man. Lucas’s character pretended to be this big tough guy, stubborn guy but is a softy in the inside. Witherspoon, Dempsey, and Lucas played their roles as stereotypes, which was predictable. However, it made sense why they played their characters that way throughout the course of the movie. 

Facts

According to Empire, this movie was rated 3.5 out of 5 from the audience. Next, this movie is rated PG-13, so it’s not appropriate for children. Furthermore, this movie was released on September 27, 2002. 

Even though this movie is a little predictable, it’s still worth a watch on Valentines Day. In my opinion, every romantic comedy is similar in some ways. However, this movie still has it’s qualities that set it apart from other romantic comedies. Sweet Home Alabama will give you all the romantic feel for this Valentine’s Day and help you believe in true love. Overall, I will give this movie 4 out of 5 hearts. 

The Declaration • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in