Colonia Girls Soccer kicks off the season on new turf field.

Photo Credit: The Yearbook Staff
Girl’s Soccer is the first team to play on the new turf.

On Friday September 5th the Colonia Girls’ Soccer Team started off their season against rivals North Brunswick High School with a tie. This season opener was the first game played on Colonia’s brand new turf field — blue and gold turf with the giant “C” in the middle.

The game started off strong and fast paced; because of the physical nature of the game, the competition turned out to be very physical. Even a yellow card was handed out to a North Brunswick player for tackling Colonia player Giana Gigantino. In the first half North Brunswick took the lead with a goal by Julie Youngman from 35 yards out. The goal didn’t kill the atmosphere because Colonia Patriots were still roaring to see the Colonia girls score their first goal of the season. However after no score from the Patriots in the first half morale was low going into halftime. Even fans from North Brunswick started to cheer louder than most Patriot supporters.

During the half Coach Cyrana was practicing with goalies Stephanie Ayr and Kelly Silva to ensure prevention of any goals in the second half. Her half time practice paid off in the end since both girls combined for 12 saves in total.

The second half began a bit sluggish compared to the exciting first half. Jazlyn Moya, captain of the team, was consistent at taking shot attempts only to be stopped by the North Brunswick goalie. However, the second half game changer surprisingly became the Colonia Boys Soccer team. They came back roaring on their bus after their 2-1 win over New Brunswick. The boys marched into the stands and almost immediately started pumping every one up. Their “I believe that we will win” chant got the whole crowd going and seemed to give the girls a second wind. Early in the second half Amanda Poulakowski scored the equalizing goal off a free kick to tie the game up 1-1.

There were no more chants from North Brunswick supporters due to this momentum change that was felt by everyone at the game. Following the goal both teams were eager to score the goal that would tip the scale. However, after about 80 minutes of playing time regulation had ended.

By this point you could tell that both teams were a bit worn out after playing this long. However both teams would see two periods of 10 minute overtimes that ultimately resulted in a tie. The game was a great start for the Colonia Girls Soccer team even though the game resulted in a tie. The Girls still have a tough regular season schedule that will run through mid-October.