Baseball reference fills need for baseball with video game simulation

Photo Credit: photo via wikipedia under the creative commons license
Baseball games have not been able to be played due to corona virus. Baseball reference has been able to fill the need with their simulation of the season in out of the park baseball 21

Baseball games have not been played due to corona virus. Baseball reference has filled the need with their simulation of the season out of the park baseball 21.

Out of the park baseball is a baseball simulation game. It allows you to take over as the GM of a team and try to bring them a championship. The people at baseball reference have used this game to simulate the 2020 baseball season. They simulate each day so the sim is always on the real life day. They also keep track of every stat and team transaction on their website. You can also view that standings of each division, each team’s record and look at box scores for each game. Just go on the season summary and you’ll be able to find everything you need.

The AL MVP of this league so far is Francisco Lindor of the Cleveland Indians. As of April 21 Lindor has put up a .320 batting average, .393 on-base percentage, .608 slugging percentage and a 1.8 WAR. The NL MVP of the league so far is Ozzie Albies of the Atlanta Braves. As of April 21 Albies has put up a .390 batting average, .413 on base percentage, .630 slugging percentage and a 1.4 WAR. the AL Cy young so far has been Lucas Giolito of the Chicago White Sox. As of April 21 Giolito has a 1.99 ERA and a 0.85 WHIP. The NL Cy young so far has been Walker Buehler of the Los Angeles Dodgers. As of April 21 Buehler has a 1.32 ERA and a 0.65 WHIP.

Here are the standings as of April 23. The Yankees are currently atop the AL east. The Indians lead the AL central. In the AL west the Mariners are on top. The Mariners have the largest playoff drought in history, dating back to 2001. The AL wild card teams are currently the Chicago White Sox and Oakland A’s. In the NL east the Braves are on top. The Reds are on top of the NL central. The NL west is held by the Dodgers. The NL wild cards are the Rockies and Diamondbacks.

Unfortunately, the simulation hasn’t been so kind to other teams. As of April 23 the Cubs have a 9-15 record, which places them dead last in the NL central. In real life sports illustrated picked them to win the NL central. the Phillies record as of April 23 is 8-17. Off season signing Didi Gregorius has not done well in this simulation. He has an on base percentage under .300. As of April 23 the Rangers are tied for the worst record, going 7-17. Off season signing Todd Frazier has failed in this simulation, with a batting average under .200 and an on base percentage and slugging percentage under .300.

Overall, this simulation has done a good job of filling my need for baseball. Baseball reference has done a good job of keeping track of all the stats. If you need baseball in your life i’d recommend check this simulation daily.