Photo Credit: photo by Flicker under Creative Common License

Classic horror movie “Scream” isn’t as scary as people say

This year I decided to finally watch a classic scary movie. “Screamwas the movie I chose, and I am glad I did. It was a good movie but wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. Which was good for me since I dislike scary things, but might not be for others. It is categorized as a horror and mystery film and is rated R, but some call it a comedy. The movie also runs for 1 hour and 51 minutes.

Summary

A peaceful town in California called Woodsboro turns into a bloodbath when a killer in a masked costume shows up in town. Sidney Prescott, a young teenage girl, whose mother was murdered a year before, becomes the target of this masked killer. Her boyfriend as well as her own father become the main suspects of the murders occurring. A local news reporter and the Woodsbroro’s Deputy help investigate and try to figure out who the killer is. Some suspect it was the same killer who killed Sidney’s mom the year before.

Background

The movie was released on Dec. 20, 1996. It was written by Kevin Williamson (best writer winner at the Saturn awards) and directed by Wes Craven (grand prize winner at the Gerardmer FilmFestival). The main cast was Neve Cambell, Courteney Fox, David Arquette, Mathew Lillard, Jamie Kennedy, Skeet Ulrich, and Rose McGowan. It made $103.1 million at the box office (Gross USA). Neve Cambell was the winner of the Best Actress Saturn Award, chainsaw best actress award, and was a nominee for a couple of other awards. This movie has also won the International Horror Guild award.

Review

The movie wasn’t too scary, except for the opening scene. Honestly, I liked how from the start it grabbed your attention with the mystery and horror. Besides that, I wasn’t on the edge of my seat the whole movie waiting for a jump scare to appear. If you are looking for a movie that gives you that fear factor, this movie might not be the best choice for you. But, I do feel that this movie is just a must-watch to check off your movie list. Everyone will find at least one thing that’s interesting about the movie. It incorporates horror, comedy, mystery and plot twists.

This movie made me contemplate who the killer was. I appreciated this because movies that are predictable aren’t fun to watch. Even when I thought I narrowed down who the killer was, something would occur in the movie that led me to believe it was someone else. Without giving anything away, let’s just say that you might be pretty surprised when you find out who it is at the end.

Other opinions

An IMDB user says ” 10/10 Scream deserves a legendary status it is my personal favorite horror slasher film from Wes Craven in the franchise. I have the whole collection on Blu-ray discs and I have the first three movies on VHS tapes. I love this film to death I love it!”

But, on the other hand, another user who gave it a 5/10 said “This is the most overrated film I’ve seen! Yeah, it’s OK, but it’s nowhere near the great movie everyone seems to think it is.”

There were a lot of good and a lot of bad opinions about this movie. I guess now it is just left up to your opinions on whether or not you would want to watch this 1996 classic horror film.

Movie Rating: 8/10 stars

The Declaration • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in