Fall fashion shaking the world now

Photo Credit: photo via Pixabay under creative commons license
With trying to be environmentally friendly, one trending fashion option this fall that anyone can do is patchwork. Repurpose old garments that no longer fit by adding elements of that garment to a new jacket, shirt or pair of pants.

Although current circumstances limit our ability to go out, you can still look incredible this season, and for an affordable price too. From clothes and accessories, to where to buy fall fashion-forward items, it won’t be hard to impress, even if you’re still working from home. 

Following summer, a season filled with bright colors comes fall, where the palette is changed. Tones that have been making a statement this autumn are shades of yellow and orange. However, the most popular tend to be warm, and include colors like marigold, rust, and chartreuse, which is a light yellow-green hue, according to Cosmopolitan. But Molly D’Amato, student at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, loves making a statement in shades of brown, especially in leather. 

How to Get the Look

A good way to style the colors mentioned above is with a monochrome outfit, or simply picking a color and making sure every piece is the same color. Don’t worry, D’Amato says you can choose different shades of the color, and even incorporate patterns for a fun look! If monochrome isn’t your style, there are many ways you can incorporate pops of color into your outfit. Patchwork is making a comeback; not only is it stylish but it’s sustainable as well, as some brands use old pieces of fabric and turn it into something new. If you’re handy with a sewing machine, you could make a piece yourself! Just grab some fabric, and sew them together with a bright-colored thread. Rather than the stitched-together look, plaid and argyle are another option, especially in flannels and sweaters. Both can keep you cozy while making sure you still look stylish.

When adding color isn’t your thing and you prefer darker shades, then shoes and accessories can help. Gold-tone jewelry has been all over social media, from Pinterest to Instagram, and it could be in your wardrobe. The gold hue of the jewelry plus the warm colors mentioned above could be a winner. D’Amato recommends layering pieces for a “funky” look. But besides jewelry, hats and scarves can be used to accessorize as well. They’re practical, as they can keep you warm in colder weather. Shoes can also be a statement piece, as many high and low-end stores sell boots with various patterns and details. Online stores such as Depop and Poshmark have great pieces, said D’Amato. 

Where to Shop

You may be wondering where you can get these items. Brandon Schmidt, retail worker at Target, explained they have affordable clothes that are both trendy and change every season. Most people enjoy their sweatshirts and jackets, as they provide comfort and style.

Another way to shop is by going to thrift stores. They sell a wide variety of clothes, and often the prices are very low. Thrifting can be unique, as only you have a certain item, and it saves clothes from going to waste. D’Amato advises going into the experience with an open mind and making sure to look through everything to find hidden gems.