Clothing brand questioned for lack of inclusivity

Digging+through+racks+at+their+local+Brandy+Melville%2C+girls+shop+the+one-size+brand.+Despite+the+size+controversy%2C+Brandy+Melville+still+remains+one+of+the+most+popular+brands+of+2020.+
Photo Credit: Photo Via Wikimedia Commons Under Creative Commons License
Digging through racks at their local Brandy Melville, girls shop the one-size brand. Despite the size controversy, Brandy Melville still remains one of the most popular brands of 2020.

Arguably one of the most popular clothing brands, Brandy Melville has space in many closets. The Italian-based company was founded in 2009. Soon after, it gained the attention of millions of teens.  However, not everyone is able to wear fashionable clothes due to their one-size-fits-some belief and lack of inclusivity. 

A lack of inclusivity

Constantly under fire for their sizing, Brandy Melville has no response, as they continue to sell most items in a size small. As of February 2020, the women’s average clothing size in America is between 16-18, which correlates to L-XXL, not the one size that the brand sells. Women and girls that are bigger than a size small should be able to purchase the stylish, Cali-inspired clothes that Brandy Melville sells. But, because their size isn’t available, they can’t. It’s almost as if the clothes are exclusive to and garnered toward girls of a specific size. 

People that wear the brand may argue that others have plus size and standard stores to shop at. However, Brandy Melville doesn’t brand themselves as having only petite sizes. They brand themselves as a generic clothing store and therefore should have such sizing. The European beauty standard of being “slim-figured” may be to blame for the lack of inclusivity, as the brand originated there.  But in regards to that, it’s sold around the United States where many sizes are taken into account, not just in Italy.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, smaller girls may not fit into the clothes. The sizing doesn’t recognize those who are XS-XXS, resulting in a loose and baggy fit.

An inside opinion

Jessy Longo, an executive at Brandy Melville spoke about the sizing,  saying “We can satisfy almost everybody, but not everybody…The one-size-fits-most clothing might turn off somebody…if you walk in you’ll find something even if it’s a bag.” The brand encourages shoppers to leave with an accessory because odds are the clothes won’t fit.

How it can be harmful

The debate about the brand goes deeper than the sizing. Girls can be affected mentally if clothes are unable to fit. This can lead to problems with anxiety, as well as anorexia and eating disorders. Others feel pressured to look a certain way and compare themselves to others which aren’t healthy as well.

Rachel Simmons, the co-founder of the Girls Leadership Institute, says that “the brand sends out a toxic message” and that in short, says your body type is what makes you worthy, and that’s all that matters.