Is it really FDA approved?

Many items people use daily are not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Did you know most perfume, makeup, hair dye, and face/body wash is not FDA approved? These are all items people use regularly without hesitation, however, many question the COVID vaccine that has approval from the FDA. Before using one of these products ask yourself; Is it really FDA approved?

Did you know most perfume, makeup, hair dye, and face/body wash is not FDA approved? These are all items people use regularly without hesitation, however, many question the COVID vaccine that has rapid approval from the FDA. Before using one of these products ask yourself: Is it really FDA approved?

Products

Infant Formula: The baby you just brought into the world is consuming a product not approved by the FDA. While the FDA does have regulatory oversight over that industry, they still don’t approve the baby formula.

Cosmetics: Your perfume, makeup, moisturizers, shampoos, hair dyes, shaving cream, and face/ body wash are not FDA approved. Do you ingest them? Well, I would hope not, but that makeup gets in your mouth, eyes, and seeps into your pores. Does this mean you cannot practice hygiene or wear makeup anymore? No, there are many companies that make chemical-free and paraben-free products that are better for your skin and hair.

Dietary Supplements & Vitamins: Wanna get skinny or tone up those muscles?  Did your parents force you to take Flintstone vitamins every morning? If so, these products did not receive FDA approval and have possible consequences if not used correctly and/or abused. According to the FDA’s website, “The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not have the authority to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed.” It is the manufacturers who actually monitor the safety of these products that are meant to help people.

Tobacco Products: It is a well-known fact that tobacco is harmful and most definitely not FDA approved. Not only do people disregard the fact tobacco products kill many each year, but they also continue to consume them. Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States. Does the COVID-19 vaccine sound that harmful now?

Alcoholic Beverages: Alcohol is often harmful to adults and can create life-threatening consequences. Many don’t realize that alcohol does not have approval from the FDA and drink unknowingly. People must become aware and consider this knowledge before their next drink.

Reactions

Senior at Colonia High School, Samantha Quiceno, often experiments with makeup and enjoys doing it as a hobby. Quiceno expresses that she “had no idea that makeup doesn’t have FDA approval.” She followed up by concluding that “if those who feel the COVID-19 vaccine is unsafe due to the FDA, their reasoning is invalid because they are mostly using cosmetic products every day that aren’t.” She will continue using her products and creating new looks disregarding the FDA.

Senior at Colonia High School, Sara Langevin, dyes her hair often and feels dying her hair allows her to express her true self. After explaining to her that the FDA does not support hair dye she seemed unphased. Langevin then said she “understands why people wouldn’t want the vaccine because it is injected into your body, while hair dye is not.” She feels that everyone should make the best decisions for their own bodies with any outside intervention.

How many of these products do you use?  Will you stop using some of them now? Did this information open your eyes to the truth? If so, be sure to consider all the facts before jumping to conclusions, whether it’s makeup, hair dye, or the COVID-19 vaccine, inform yourself first. Next time you see yourself using a product ask yourself; Is it really FDA approved?