Oldies but goodies: Old trends making a comeback this holiday season

They+say+history+repeats+its+self+and+in+many+ways+items+from+the+past+are+making+comebacks+today.+
Photo Credit: Mrs. Danielle Allen
They say history repeats it’s self and in many ways items from the past are making comebacks today.

The holidays are approaching faster than we may want, causing more chaos and stress over what to get teens this year. Recently, trends from the past have resurfaced, gaining attention and popularity from teenagers.

The accessibility of social media makes it easier for trends to constantly come and go. But, through it all, vintage clothing and accessories have remained relevant to teenagers. What some baby boomers may have deemed as the normal, outdated style have now become the new aesthetic look that teens strive for.

Vintage clothing

Take a dive into the clothes that you have packed away into your closet and you would be surprised at how valuable they are to your teen. Popular stores such as Garage, Pacsun, Urban Outfitters, and American Eagle aim at bringing back the retro vintage look in their clothes.

Older bands and artists such as Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, ACDC, and Sublime are popular t-shirt designs mixed with a bleached or tie-dyed look to them. Depending on how the teen likes to dress will determine what type of clothes would work best for them. Flare jeans, corduroy pants, and baggy jeans have been popular in the fashion industry.

Retro film & video cameras

It is ironic that smartphones have the capability to take pictures almost as well as an expensive camera, but teens like the feeling of capturing moments the old fashion with a film camera or polaroid. A two-pack of Fujifilm QuickSnap Flash 400 Disposable 35mm Cameras cost $44.49 on Amazon. Each camera has 27 exposures on each camera. 

Vinyl records & record players

Though we have access to a variety of artists and songs now on our phones in just one app, some teenagers love the feeling of playing their favorite songs on a vinyl record. Some popular artists don’t just release their album online, but also on a vinyl record to purchase. It gives the old-style feeling again, but just with a new style of music. These records can add up in price though, ranging from $25-45 a record.

Hair claw clips & scrunchies

Hair accessories have been a part of fashion for a while now, going through many different trends. But, in this 21st century, scrunchies and hair claw clips have made a return to the fashion game. Instead of just basic black hair ties, different textured scrunchies are used to put up hair in more style.
Hair claw clips which were popular back in the 2000s during the Y2K era have been another alternative way to quickly hold up hair. They are perfect for a fast, effortlessly put-together look that adds an extra touch to an outfit. Depending on how thick or long one’s hair is may make it easier or harder to use these clips though. Luckily, there are different sizes that are able to better accommodate a variety of hair types.

Fanny packs/ bum bags

The style of carrying small pounces around your waist or across your body has come back in trend. This bag is versatile for all genders and can really complete an outfit, putting it all together. They were first popular in the ’80s but have returned in a slightly different fashion for the 21st century.

Retro room decor

Unique and individualized room designs have become popular more recently. A great gift would be to buy some more wall decor or pictures