Hair products that work best for curly hair

The average head has 120,000 hairs while curly heads only have 100,000
Photo Credit: VectorPortal

Since the beginning of time, taming your curls has always been a hassle. Even finding the right product is a lot to deal with. Lucky for you I’ve done the research, tested out the products, and now I am here to share which products work best for your curly hair. 

CGM

CGM or Curly girl method is a method where an individual uses products that are CGM-friendly. Meaning the products contain no parabens, sulfates, or silicones and are all-natural. This method involves understanding your hair’s porosity level and making sure to feed your hair the amount of protein it needs. Silicones cause a waxy buildup on your scalp that weighs down your hair making it harder for it to curl. Parabens can cause a lot of problems like dry scalp, irritating scalp, faded hair color, and sadly hair loss. Sulfates strip away moisture from your hair leaving it unhealthy and dry.

That’s why you should stay away from Non-CGM products, you’re messing up your hair more than helping it. Some CGM products are Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Eva NYC Gotta Bounce Curl Defining Cream, and last but not least the Mielle Organics Brazilian Curly Cocktail Curl Mousse With Babassu Oil. Products that are not CGM friendly are Aussie Sprunch Hair Mousse + Leave-in Conditioner and Dove Amplified Textures Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner. If you’re curious about finding out which products are CGM go to Curlscan.com

Tgin Rose Water Leave-In Conditioner

Created by Chris-Tia Donaldson in 2003 after graduating from Harvard Law School she decided to make products for the Curly Hair Community because there were barely being any products out there for the hair type. Tgin Rose water Leave-In conditioner costs $15.99. The texture is light and creamy as well as rose water scented. I used about a dime size of the product and scrunched it into my hair in two sections. After letting it fully dry with the help of a diffuser. I scrunched out the crunch and had bouncy, light, defined, and moisturized curls that lasted the entire day with no gel needed. I recommend using this product if your hair has a 3b-4c curl type, because the product is lightweight it won’t weigh down your curls making them appear tighter.

Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner

In 1984 Ouidad Wise, a Lebanese immigrant opened the first-ever curly hair salon in New York City. Ms. Wise was passionate about embracing curly hair and spent years perfecting her technique. Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner costs $26.00 for an 8.5OZ bottle. The cream’s texture is thin, light, and smells like Laundry Detergent.

I used a dime-sized amount of product and scrunched it into my hair post-shower. I instantly saw the moisture lock into my curls as I applied it. By the time I finished doing my hair, I could see how defined my curls were, I could see every individual spiral.  When my curls dried I was bestowed with bouncy, defined, frizzless, and volumized curls. It was a good hair day. I recommend this product for people with any curl type, I was very pleased with the results I got from this product. The brand’s motto is “Let curls be curls”, let me tell you, This brand is on point. 

Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls

Created by Titi and Miko Branch in 2004. Miko and Titi were motivated by the lack of products marketed towards this hair type. Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls costs $22.00. The cream texture is soft, light, and thick. It is not thick enough for it the be a butter.

When I used this product I saw my curls become looser and less bouncy. Styling my hair I noticed my hair was more wet than usual making it harder for me to sculpt my curls. When my hair dried I had weighed down, bounceless, wavy, frizzy hair. My hair is a 3a-3b curl type so for it to be wavy is very concerning. This product contains amodimethicone which is a type of silicone used in certain cosmetic products such as conditioning. Silicones weigh down curls. I don’t recommend this product because it will leave you with a hair identity crisis and those are never fun. 

Product prices

Unfortunately, the prices for curly hair products are way more expensive than straight hair products. For example, the Function of Beauty soft bounce texturizing hair spray (which is made for straight hair) costs only $12.99. While Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curl Cream costs $22.00. That is a $10 difference in the prices. This price difference is totally unfair to the curly hair community. This usually occurs more in named brand products containing natural ingredients.

Again, Eva NYC Lazy Jane Salt-Free Wave Spray (made for straight hair to make it wavy) costs $11.99. On the other hand, we have Aussie Miracle Curls leave-in moisturizer that costs only $4.97 at Walmart. Aussie a less natural product has a lowered price. It’s important to choose natural products regardless of the price because, in the long run, you’re essentially taking care of your hair. Curly hair needs natural products because the hair type is more dry than wavy or straight hair, because of the shape of the curl and its dryness it’s harder to stay moisturized and the oils can’t go from your scalp to the strands of your hair.