• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

How many times do you hit the snooze button each day?

Oculus Quest 2 allows you to travel to worlds unlike your own

Facebook+developed+Oculus+Quest+2+in+2020.+The+headset+has+revolutionized+the+gaming+industry+and+how+we+view+it.++
Photo Credit: Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons License
Facebook developed Oculus Quest 2 in 2020. The headset has revolutionized the gaming industry and how we view it.

Have you ever wanted to visit a world so unique from ours? An Oculus is a virtual reality headset that allows users to play video games.

Oculus Quest was released on May 21, 2019. The headset was so easy to use because it didn’t require any external sensors or wires. Oculus Quest was ideal because you can use it at home or on the go. The Oculus Quest 2 was released a year later on October 13, 2020. Not only is the second headset more immersive, but its visual component improved. The second quest has a screen resolution of 832 x 1920 pixels per eye, while its predecessor comes out at 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye. This increases the image by 50%.

Cnet describes Oculus Quest 2 as, “an improved, less expensive sequel to the Oculus Quest, a self-contained VR game console that was my absolute favorite thing in 2019. It’s already been my portable holodeck, my little magic fitness room, my escape space.”

Benefits of an Oculus

When one thinks of the Oculus technology, you tend to think about teens using it but there are programs that can benefit the elderly. It can combat loneliness, promote exercise and give them new experiences without having them leave the house. (Photo Credit: Mrs. Allen)

The possibilities are endless with a device like an Oculus. You can stream your favorite movies and TV shows, listen to music, attend live sports and music with other users, paint, explore other universes, and even meet new people from across the world. More importantly, the device has an influx of awesome video games to play from. Quest 2 runs the exact same games as its predecessor. It has a large library of apps and games to select from. According to Android Central, you would be able to fit 30 to 40 games onto the 128GB Quest 2 model comfortably.

Nico Cavilhas, a student from Colonia High School mentions, “I’ve played a lot of games on the system. I’m a big fan of Job Simulator and Vader Immortal. They have cool and unique stories, and the experience is immersive. Oculus truly modified the gaming industry.”

There are so many genres to choose from. Some of the system’s best games are Resident Evil 4Myst, Beat Saber, and Superhot. The Facebook-owned headset can even receive phone notifications, pair with keyboards, and connect with virtual meeting apps.

One out of the box usage for the Oculus is for the elderly. Seniors can travel to parks or to outer space and never leave their homes. This can provide so exercise for them and reduce feelings of loneliness. They can wander on Google Earth, Go fishing on Real VR fishing, or play a game for a new experience. Kenta Toshima, a Tokyo researcher who began using virtual reality in nursing homes said, “By supplementing their physical handicap with technology, the VR travel experiences can help improve the elderly’s motivation for rehabilitation and improve their quality of life. The VR experience makes them feel like they are out of the nursing home and can help ease their anxiety and loneliness.”

Price Range

The device costs $299. That may seem like a lot, but compared to some other tech it may not be a bad deal. Cnet reported that the new XR2 chip can create more advanced graphics that improve room tracking and mixed reality. This means that the system should be able to run more advanced apps and have a better awareness of the room you are in. This Qualcomm’s chip is several generations beyond what the previous Snapdragon 835 could offer and has specialized computer vision AI.

Upgrades and downgrades

Quest 2 also comes with new controllers, but they have the same buttons and triggers. They’re easier to control because the controllers are bigger. The controllers still use AA batteries, so they are not rechargeable though they last a lot longer on a single battery.

Unfortunately, you need a Facebook account to use an Oculus. It is also said that the new head straps aren’t as comfortable, but you can always buy different straps. Other than those cons, the headset is a great gift for the holiday season.