Looking back at the popular music of 2021

Photo Credit: Photo by rawpixel.com under Creative Common License
Looking into 2021, there had been a lot of accomplishments made in the music industry by older and newer artists.

Though 2021 wasn’t filled with as much live music that fans may have wanted, a lot of albums got released. New artists rose and broke past records, while older artists made notable appearances again.

Some artists that made a comeback

ABBA

After several years of teasing about new songs, ABBA released the Voyage album almost 40 years since their last studio album, 1981’s The Visitors. It smashed into the Official UK Albums Chart Number 1 spot with 204,000 chart sales – the fastest-selling album released by a group in eight years. The news that they were back in action brought some joy to the world.

Adele

The release of her song, Easy On Me, shot to Number 1 with a massive 217,300 chart sales in its first week. After her album drop 30 arrived a few weeks later, it created a lot of buzz amongst her fans.

Lorde

New Zealand singer-songwriter Lorde released her third album ‘Solar Power’ in 2021. It became her third consecutive album to reach the top spot on the Billboard‘s Alternative Albums chart after her debut Pure Heroin (2013) and Melodrama (2017).

Awards

For the year of 2021, the American Music Awards (AMA) were hosted by American rapper and songwriter Cardi B. The show’s winners are voted on by fans and had added on three categories.

Pop Music

Starting out, BTS, Doja Cat, and Megan Thee Stallion dominate the AMA with three wins each. BTS wins awards for Artist of the Year along with Favorite Pop Duo or Group. Along with that, their song “Butter, also won the Favorite Pop song.

Taylor Swift continues to win the favorite female pop artist for the sixth time and  favorite pop album, “Evermore.” Swift also holds the record for most AMA wins overall — 34. Along with big accomplishments, Olivia Rodrigo, a new 18 year old artist wins New Artist of the Year as she released her SOUR album which held a couple of hit singles.

Ed Sheeran won Favorite Male Pop Artist while Lil Nas X won Favorite Music Video for his controversial music video “Montero (Call Me by Your Name).”

Latino Music

In the Latino category, Bad Bunny was named Favorite Male Latin Artist and won Favorite Latin Album for “EL ÚLTIMO TOUR DEL MUNDO.” Kali Uchis, now first-time AMA winner, won Favorite Latin Song with her hit single “telepatía.” Becky G won Favorite Female Latin Artist while Banda MS de Sergio Lizárraga won Favorite Latin Duo or Group.

Country Music

Carrie Underwood won Favorite Female Country Artist and Favorite Inspirational Artist. Over her singing career, she has won seventeen awards out of twenty-three nominations. She is the only artist in AMA history to have won the Favorite Country Album for every studio album released. Gabby Barrett, a rising artist won Favorite Country Album and Favorite Country Song for Goldmine the album that produced both “I Hope” and “The Good Ones.” Lastly, Dan + Shay won Favorite Country Duo or Group.

R&B Music

The new group, Silk Sonic composed of Bruno Mars and Anderson. Paak won Favorite R&B Song for “Leave The Door Open.” They also kicked off the night with an energetic opening performance of their  released hit “Smokin’ Out The Window.”

The Weeknd won Favorite Male R&B Artist who had won five AMA awards in the past.

Doja Cat receives awards for her song “Kiss Me More” with SZA, winning Collaboration of the Year, as well as Favorite Female R&B artist, and R&B album for “Planet Her.”

Hip-Hop Music

Megan Thee Stallion takes home awards for Favorite trending song, “Body,” Female Hip-hop Artist, and Hip-hop Album for “Good News.”

Cardi B, known for her aggressive and candid flow to her lyrics wings Favorite Hip-Hop Song for “Up” and Drake wins Favorite Male Hip-Hop Artist who had won five other AMA’s in the past.

Other Music

Machine Gun Kelly wins Favorite Rock Artist, Kanye West with Favorite Gospel Artist and Marshmello for Favorite Dance/Electronic Artist.