Top throwback fashion trends of 2021

Photo Credit: Photo via via Flickr under creative commons license
Sporting throwback fashion trends of the 1970s are teenagers. As of now, #70s has 2.9 billion views on TikTok, the youth of today’s biggest social media platform.

From the ’70s to the 2000s and even ’90s, there is no denying that the trends of 2021 were throwbacks. Today’s rising generation loves nostalgia which was a massive influence of 2021’s fashion trends.

The 70s are Back

When are the 1970s not back? ’90s fashion drew tons of inspiration this decade so there is no doubt that 2021 saw this.  High knee socks, vests, crochet clothes and accessories, floral prints, halter tops and even roller skates are trending. Model and actress Farrah Fawcett, musician and actress Olivia Newton-John, and actress and model Jane Fonda were great wearers of these trends in the ’70s. Huge ’70s hits from stars like ABBA, Boney M., and Fleetwood Mac have made their way back to the youth through the way of TikTok. Musicians today like singer of ‘Say So’, Doja Cat has taken inspiration from the ’70s in both her music and style. 

Y2K Nostalgia

A huge trend many teenagers were excited to participate in is the aesthetic taking inspiration from the early 2000s. Graziamagazine ranks “Y2K” as the fourth most searched aesthetic of 2021. This includes the pastel and bright color palettes, notable 2000s silhouettes like baby tees, and plenty of accessories. Due to the pandemic’s rise in the need for lounge wear, Juicy Couture tracksuits are back! Singer Britney Spears, “It Girl” Paris Hilton, the members of girl group Destiny’s Child, and Lizzie McGurie’s Hilary Duff are the icons of the 2000s decade. Although one can argue it’s not the same exact style, there is no denying that the 2000s fashion and today’s Y2K aesthetic is similar.  

Chunky Boots

Chunky boots are back and better than ever! The thick soled boots are changing up the shoe game. Huge in the ’90s and ’80s due to the rising grunge music and fashion, it’s the inspiration of today’s trend. Not only are chunky boots in, but even with platforms. Most notable brands are Doc Martens, Jeffrey Campbell and Prada. From 2017 to 2021, Doc Martens revenue increased by 482.4 million GBP. Today’s big users are musicians and actresses Olivia Rodrigo and Miley Cyrus, and Supermodel Bella Hadid. 

Low Rise Jeans 

These exposed belly denim pants are part of Y2K but it’s too big of a trend, it deserves its own place. The first low rise jeans featured in the nineties, however, it’s association with the 2000s is well known. Along with the 2000s icon mentioned above, Actress Keira Knightly and Singer Christina Aguilera are big influences. For men, low rise jeans help achieve the ‘saggy pants’ look. Nevertheless, this comeback is controversial. Are low rise jeans tacky and problematic? Or cool and have every right to be back in style?

Loose Denim

Another jean throwback trend is looser jeans. These denim pants are more comfortable and come in an endless variety of styles. It’s not only Gen Z who think skinny jeans just aren’t the best denim choice anymore. “I’m glad to see skinny jeans go. I’ve always been biased towards fashion that feels more freeing, and skinny is not the match for that,” says Cassandra Pintro, editorial producer of Vogue in an interview. These loose denims include: 2000s boot cut and flare originally from the ’60s and ’70s, wide-leg or palazzo of the ’60s and ’70s, the ’90s skater jeans, and many many more. 

Mullet 

The ’80s haircut is best described as professional at the front, but party in the back. In other words, a shorter cut in the front and longer in the back. The mullet had over 15.5 million searches in 2021, an increase of 142% from the previous year according to Cosmetify. Famous heads that sported the look during its originating decade include: Country Singer Billy Ray Cryus, ’80s Heartthrob Parick Swayze, and Mario Lopez of an ’80s classic Saved by the Bell. Today’s most famous inspiration comes from the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus, singer and actress Miley Cyrus who rocks her self-cut mullet.