Mattison Chiera dominates the 2022 girls’ basketball season

Photo Credit: Photo via Ctowngirlshoops on Twitter with Permission
Pictured is the Colonia girls’ varsity basketball team. They had an overall record of 25-5.

Mattison Chiera is only a junior at Colonia High School and is quickly projecting herself as one of the girls’ basketball program’s biggest stars. With the stats she’s put up throughout her career so far, all of the recognition she’s been receiving is just and well deserved. 

Mattison Chiera dominating in 2022

Mattison is a guard and forward for the girls’ basketball team at Colonia High School. She recently scored her 1,000th point against Watchung Hills Regional High School. In fact, she has a total of 1,096 points so far. Big feats for Chiera include making the First All-Greater Middlesex County (GMC) Girls Team and First Team All-White Division along with her sophomore teammate, Taylor Derkack. Among other accomplishments, she secured the Central Jersey Week Six Game Ball in mid-February of 2022. Chiera averages about 17.1 points per game. She scores four times as many points as any player on the team besides Derkack. 

Pictured is Chiera with Derkack. The pair led the team in scoring this season.

Chiera’s background

Chiera’s mother, Sandi, coaches the girls’ team, and couldn’t be more proud of her daughter. Mattison added that having her mother coach her is something that she’s extremely lucky to have. “She just wants what is best for me and would do anything to get me to where I want to be. I love it.” Chiera said of her mother. Sandi Chiera played girls basketball too and scored 1000 points. Her father also has a huge influence on her game. He played basketball at Colonia as well and won three state championships and one county championship. 

Last year Chiera was suffering from a knee injury according to Assistant Coach Nicole Donoghue. Chiera was scared she wouldn’t return to the place she was athletically but returned this year better and readier to play than ever before. “There was much tenacity,” Donoghue added. But that wasn’t enough to stop Chiera. Mattison noted that scoring her 1000th point felt amazing and that she wasn’t sure if she was going to get it this year. Being able to score it as a junior was just such a great accomplishment for herself, she said in addition. ̈To get that amount of points in two and half seasons really is not something that many people can accomplish,” said Donoghue.

Pictured is Chiera after scoring her 1000th point. In total, she has amassed 1096 points.

Donoghue also mentioned that after scoring her 1000th point, Chiera bought every coach and player for the team a rose with a note reading, ̈I couldn’t have done it without you.” Just in case you needed more proof of Chiera’s level of professionalism and humbleness. “Matti is a very solid leader. She knows how to control the floor, she knows how to take charge, she knows how to calm her teammates down and rally her teammates and has also become more mature.” Donoghue praised Chiera.

Future endeavors

Chiera has many goals for herself, including playing collegiately. However, her current goals include beating her uncle’s scoring record, becoming the all-time leading scorer for the girls, winning the white division again, winning a county championship, and winning the state championship next year. “There’s no doubt that Matti can do anything she sets her mind to,” Donoghue said of Chiera. 

The girls’ team recently lost their Central Jersey, Group 3 championship game against Ewing. However, it’s no doubt that Chiera will continue to lead the team next year as a senior. All of Colonia is eager to watch her final year and collegiate career unfold.