Colonia Wrestling drops the division to Saint Joes by one game

Photo Credit: Photo with permission from Lors Studio
With points being put on the board, sophomore Ayaan Aziz takes the win via pin.

Colonia comes up short

The CHS wrestling team finished 11-10 last year and lost the division by one game to Saint Joe’s. A big key to the team’s success was the sophomore duo of Mikey Feliciano and Noah Bone. The young duo had a combined record of 36-15. Bone dominated the 120-pound weight class. While only wrestling at 126 lbs twice he split those matches going 1-1.  Feliciano wrestled in the 165-pound weight class and performed well going 22-6. Feliciano dominated in his freshmen season going 11-0. He is a 2 time GMC All-white division wrestler and a 1-time all-star.

Leaving seniors

Colonia will be hurt by the departure of their Seniors Vincent Diaz and Micheal Torres. They both and great seasons. The team was projected to win more games this year but covid restrictions forced the team to drop some games. Diaz had the best year of his career finishing 20-6. Diaz has a career record of 35-17.  Torres also had the best year of his 4 year career finishing with a record of 26-6.  He finishes his high school career in the 50-win club finishing with a career record of 53-32.

Developing Sophomores

Sophomore Ayaan Aziz finished 12-11 in his first year of wrestling but is sure to see improvement in his second year. Aziz wrestled in the 113-pound weight class but seems to be on the incline when it comes to his weight.  Aziz is sure to bulk up to about 120 going into his junior season. This year Aziz won 7 matches via pin. In total, he won 12 matches while losing 11.  Aziz won 58% of his matches by a pin, he looks to finish a few more games over .500 this year.

Sophomore Noah Bone has not earned any all-division honors yet but, is due for a breakout season.  Bone earned himself an all-star selection by going 17-9 and placing 3rd in the district tournament. Bone has a career record of 28-11 in two years of varsity wrestling. If Bone has a good season he can get his 50th career win in his junior year and will be in great shape to finish his Colonia career with 75 wins.  Bone has wrestled in the 120-pound weight class for the past two years.  He is a sure favorite to dominate his weight class this year with the departure of  Saint Joe’s wrestler and Kent state commit Nico Calello.

The Freshman

Freshman Logan Goncalves was average at best in his first year as a high school wrestler. Goncalves finished with a 10-14 record losing his first 5 matches. Goncalves wrestled in the 157-pound division. He looks to greatly improve next year to help his team, and possibly finish with a positive record.

For more statistics see NJ.com.