Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff

Entrance into the tournament costs runners or teams money. Relay teams pay $25 per member, whereas individual races will cost $16 per runner.

Non-Public A Girls 

April 25, 2023

On the girls side it was all about Union Catholic and Cate DeSousa’s impressive double meet record.

UC further solidified themselves as one of the top programs in state history, adding to its remarkable streak with its eighth straight title.

Its rare for any team to throw down a 1-2-3 sweep in any event but UC did it three times out of the six individual running events. They swept the 800,55 hurdles and 55 dash which accounted for 72 out of their 98 points. Red Bank Catholic placed second with 29 points,led by Cate DeSousa.

This is UC’s second straight year sweeping the 800 thanks to the performances of Kaleigh Gunsiorowski(2:16.49), Peyton Hollis(2:17.14) and Maameya Nyinah(2:17.68).

Sophomore Taylor Cox dropped a PR( 7.98) to lead the hurdle sweep for Union Catholic. Ajanae Thompson(8.11) and Alexandra Bonn(8.72) came in 2nd and 3rd.

In the 55 dash,sophomore Taylor Aska ran a meet record( 7.10). Cox finished second with a PR(7.14) and Thompson was third( 7.24).

Nyinah, Vonya Gould, Gunsiorowski, and Hollis rounded out the 4×400 team which won( 4:01.85).

Another key performance from UC was Ebony Turner(3rd in the high jump with 5-0).

The biggest star was Cate DeSousa. Doubling in the 1600 and 3200, DeSousa won the 1600( 4:57.62) to break her own meet record. She later set a new 3200 record with the number 1 fastest time in NJ( 10:27.63).