Varsity Football Ends Season Undefeated

A completed pass during the Colonia vs. JFK football game .
Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff

After a very successful football season, the Colonia Boys Football Team celebrated their eighth win on Halloween against New Brunswick High School. Colonia finished the game with a score of  50 to 28, the highest amount of points scored in a single game this season.

The season started in September  when Colonia beat Bishop Ahr  35 to 14 . By the end of that game, Colonia ran the ball over 200 yards, and passed it for over 100 to get the first win of the season. They then carried their win back home to beat rival John F. Kennedy High School 27 to 6. Senior Sam Pero rushed 141 yards, had 21 carries, and 3 touchdowns by the end of the fourth quarter to bring Colonia a step farther in the season. Sam Pero, a senior at Colonia, rushed over 1000 yards this year alone and averages 129 yards a game. On the receiving ends of things, Pharoah Napoleon had a total of 8 receiving touchdowns and ran for over 500 yards. The wins just kept coming for Colonia, beating rivals Perth Amboy, Carteret, Matawan Regional, rival Woodbridge, and rival St. Joseph.

Pero isn’t the only one who had a spectacular season at CHS,  Tenny Adewusi, the quarterback, passed for over 1000 yards, and averages for at least a touchdown pass a week. Colonia has also had a great season on defense, creating an average of 97 tackles a game, almost double the national average. They were also able to come up with 23 sacks  this season. Junior Solomon Manning had a career 7 7 tackles this season. As a team, CHS had high numbers in nearly all categories offensively and defensively. So far, the team has rushed for 2287 yards attacking, but the entire team ran for a stunning 4300 yards. Adewusi had 74 completed passes, and so far has a total of 13 touchdowns this season.

Colonia kept the winning streak going to finish the final regular season undefeated by beating South Plainfield 20 to 0. Pero ran for over 100 rushing yards, while Adewusi threw for over 60 yards, and ran in for one touchdown. Senior Jimmy Becker had a punt block which led to touchdown later on in the quarter. This football season was also the first season since 1974 where Colonia went undefeated, which is a tremendous feat. Even the freshman football team had a great season, ending regular season with a record of 8-1-1.

Colonia defeated Scotch Plains-Fanwood on Friday, November 14th at 7:00 pm at CHS and JFK High School in the playoffs. They face  Phillipsburg on Saturday, December 6th at Rutgers University’s High Point Stadium in New Brunswick in the State Championship game.