Colonia High Schools Wins First Home Football Game

Photo Credit: The Declaration Staff
Consulting with Quarterback Tenni Adewusi, the Patriot’s football team increases their number of wins.

On September 19th, at seven PM, Colonia faced off against John F. Kennedy High, for the first home football game for the season. The patriots seem rather excited to test out the new turf field.

The Patriots beat the Mustangs, with a final score of 27 – 6. The game consisted of the two schools varsity teams, and started at six pm. While the  Mustangs proved a reputable team, in the end, the Patriots prevailed. In the first quarter, The Mustangs did not score, the Patriots, on the other hand gained twelve points. The second quarter, the Mustangs scored their first and only touchdown. CHS gained eight points in the second quarter. In the third quarter, only CHS scored, gaining them another six points. In the fourth and final quarter, there were no touchdowns.

Some notable players from Colonia would be: Sam Pero, Senior Captain, who rushed for 141 yards, 21 carries and three touchdowns, Tenny Adewusi, the Quarterback and Captain, threw for 168 yards and a touchdown with a completion percentage of around 85 %, and Raul Cardona, Captain line backer and tight end, made two catches receiving yardage of 16 yards. The Patriots had 3 sacks in the game.

The Patriots performed very well for the first game, more than likely hoping to continue this winning as a streak. This first win for the Colonia High Patriots was a good start for the new field. The next home game to be held on Colonia new blue turf will be the freshman game on September 25th, against Perth Amboy High School, at 5:30 pm. Perhaps this new turf will be a good luck charm for the Colonia Patriots. The overall talk of the first game makes it seem like the population of the school has high hopes for the Patriots varsity team. It also seems like the long wait for the fields construction has paid off.