Is Saturday Night still “Live”?

In its 40th season, can NBC’s timeless Saturday Night Live continue to bring in viewers?

In television, there is constant change. Shows get cancelled, new shows appear, show times change, shows even move to different channels. But there is one show that has remained constant for the past four decades. This would be NBC’s beloved perennial comedy sketch program– Saturday Night Live. SNL has fostered countless comedic talents over what is now a period of forty years. When it debuted in the 1970s, sketch comedies were a norm, as TV had a much smaller, simpler spectrum of shows. Over the several decades that it has been on air now, it’s done well as far as ratings and viewers as well. However, in later years, particularly the last two, there has been a slow decrease of the show’s popularity.

There could be many causes to this phenomenon. The past two seasons of SNL have seen some drastic cast changes. Some of the bigger stars like Bill Hader and Seth Meyers have left to pursue more lucrative careers in TV and film. For example, former SNL head writer Seth Meyers became the host of NBC’s Late Night with Seth Meyers, just as fellow SNL alumni Jimmy Fallon did five years before. Because of this, SNL and producer Lorne Michaels had to bring in a plethora of new cast members. Some of these new actors and actresses were an instant hit with viewers, like this season’s Pete Davidson. Others, like last season’s Brooks Wheelan, were only good enough for a one season appearance.

Season 40 saw even more cast changes, including a new anchor at the sacred Weekend Update desk. Along with Colin Jost (who was new for season 39), there is Michael Che. He has garnished mixed reactions from viewers and critics alike. But it looks like he is here to stay.

As for SNL’s bevy of celebrity hosts, it still manages to get the best of the best. However, SNL has been criticized for its writing of late, saying the writing is subpar for hosts like the season’s opener–  “Parks & Rec” and “Guardians of the Galaxy” star Chris Pratt. Other hosts so far this season include Jim Carey and Chris Rock, who brought with them a little bit of much needed nostalgia.

With every episode so far in season 40, the mostly new cast seems to get better and better. This is also true for SNL’s viewers who weren’t exactly used to the big overhaul.

Upcoming hosts for season 40 include Woody Harrelson and Cameron Diaz, two shows to surely look forward to. Overall, it’s still the same, classic SNL. New genres of TV may have intruded on its popularity, and younger generations make not be as interested as they used to be, but SNL will still claim its place on the weekend TV circuit.