4DX is a multi-sensory experience you can’t miss out on

Due+to+4DXs+success%2C+CJ+has+gone+to+create+ScreenX.+ScreenX+is+a+panoramic+film+format+which+displays+films+on+270-degree+screens+on+walls+in+a+theater.+
Photo Credit: Photo via Flickr under Creative Commons Licence
Due to 4DX’s success, CJ has gone to create ScreenX. ScreenX is a panoramic film format which displays films on 270-degree screens on walls in a theater.

4DX is an advanced film technology that delivers an immersive multi-sensory theatrical experience. Movie-goers experience practical-effects, including motion-seats and simulated weather.

What is 4DX?

4DX is considered to be one of the biggest innovations in cinematic technology. Developed by South Korean CJ CGV, 4DX is meant to offer film buffs a revolutionary film experience that stimulates all five senses. In fact, viewers may feel the effects so intensely, that they feel a part of the film.

4DX can serve as a way to divert audiences back to the multiplex, offering a unique way to experience a movie. You can watch “Fast & Furious” and feel like you’re in the car with Vin Diesel, as the chair moves side-to-side. Those who decide to witness a film in 4DX will experience each movement onscreen in the seat and theater around them.

4DX effects

4DX’s job is to provide elaborate seat or theater motions that almost make the audience feel like they’re in the movie. There are 21 unique effects that viewers can experience in 4D cinemas.

During intense action sequences, seats can roll left and right. As superheroes are flying, your seat may sway side to side. Ultimately, seats can pitch and heave back to back. Some of these motions may happen at the same, and may almost feel like a roller coaster.

When watching action movies, you may feel a character’s punch through the seat, and a gunshot is an air shot to the face. Water/mist can also be felt when characters or creatures spit on screen. Effects like lightning and snow also make the experience more engaging.

When asked about her experience, Lily Larmonie stated, “Everyone should at least try it once in their life. It’s such a different experience. It almost feels like you’re in the movie.”

4DX production

Each year, the South Korean company creates 4DX screenings for over 30 different films. Furthermore, titles from Asian countries also get the “4DX treatment”. Once coding is wirelessly sent to each theater’s auditoriums, they run off servers within each market.

Kim’s 4DX team doesn’t just add random effects during sequences of a film. It may easier to play each affect at full volume, but the team tries to prevent sensory overload. CJ 4DPlex works on week-long processes to meticulously align each affect with the sequence on screen.

Paul Kim, SVP of content and production at CJ 4DPlex, explains, “I think a lot of people assume that this is done through an automated process. It’s not…They really sometimes go frame-by-frame to make sure that every effect, every motion, every vibration is correctly transmitted according to what you’re seeing on the screen.”

Best films for 4DX

Films like “John Wick” would be perfect for 4DX because of the intense action sequences. Furthermore, superhero movies like “Avengers” or “Shazam” could benefit from 4DX to also enhance action through screen. Superheroes flying can cause wind to appear in the theater, and during fight scenes audiences’ seats may rock back and forth.

In fact, 4DX can be implemented in comedies. A spray of water may trigger the seat during goofy moments in film. 4DX has recently been teaming up with filmmakers to create more realistic effects. 4DX had the pleasure of meeting with “Top Gun: Maverick” director, Joseph Kosinski.

Notes were sent to Korea’s offices to change certain effects, and ensure quality. 4DX prioritizes the filmmaker’s vision above all, and gladly sat with Kosinski to ensure his vision for the film. Working with studios and executives can create an even better immersive project.

Kim stated, ““If the seats are moving the entire two hours of a film, I don’t think it really takes advantage of what 4DX is,4DX helps the audience feel that much more absorbed in a film. We want to make sure that it’s the right scene and we want to make sure that it makes sense when we use particular effects.”