Senior Class wins Spirit Week Competition

Beginning on October 7th, the students of Colonia High School participated in Spirit Week– a contest designed to raise funding and promote healthy competition between the classes. The senior class won the majority of the events, claiming over $600 for their treasury.Over the five day span, each class competed in five different events, all culminating at the Pep Rally, where each class contended in team events, like musical chairs or the three-legged race. Dime Wars lasted the entire week and involved four containers, one for each class, that were placed in the lunch rooms.

For the last several years, the senior class has claimed victory consistently. “I feel like it’s almost an obligation for our senior class to win,” claimed Senior Jared Lal. “Even if we don’t have the best participation, it always seems the seniors end up coming out on top,” continued Lal.

On Monday, October 7th the theme was Red, White and Blue Day, with the senior class just edging out the juniors by wearing more America-themed apparel. The senior class also brought in the most tissue boxes, claiming victory in that category as well.

The trend continued on Tuesday, October 8th when the theme was Disney Character Day. Students were encouraged to sport the likeness of their favorite Disney character on a piece of clothing, with Mickey Mouse ears only counting as an accessory. The senior class once again claimed victory, although the amount of total participants fell sharply for this event.

In the next event, students were urged to wear the color pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The results of Wednesday, October 9th remained mostly the same, with the seniors edging out the juniors in the Pink-Out event.

On Thursday students were required to dress for success. This included outfits that made the students appear as if they were going on an interview for a job. This particular category was chosen by the administration.  Administration decided since the day was such a success to keep it as a tradition event during Spirit Week. Students were also required to bring in food for the food drive.

One of the oldest days celebrated during Spirit Week is Blue and Gold Day. This day is normally celebrated the last day of Spirit Week and is followed by the Pep Rally that takes place at the end of that day. This day was created around 10 years ago when the administration team and Ms. Meade decided it was a good way to culminate the week’s festivities. During this day students are required to wear any blue and gold apparel they have to support CHS. This year resulted in a continued winning streak from the Senior Class in this category.

During Blue and Gold day, students were asked to bring in empty ink cartridges. This category was also won by the Senior Class of 2014. In addition the class banners were checked and selected teachers voted on the banners. Each class is required to create a banner to represent what their class stands for while incorporating a theme, year of graduation, and the character education pillars. This year the banners were not sewn; instead they were designed on the computer and large posters were printed out by Miss Lombardi, an Art teacher. In the past, students used to decorate their designated hallway with a theme. This idea started to get out of hand when students were at school after 7 pm with advisors trying to finish up the hallway. Others problems like vandalism came into account which influenced the decision to stop decorating the hallways and instead creating class banners. This year the class banner contest was also won by the senior class of 2014.

Besides dressing up for the days and creating banners, there is also Dime Wars which went on for the duration of the week during the lunch period. This event has been involved in Spirit Week since it all started. The goal for each class was to accumulate as many dimes in their respective jars as possible, while attempting to limit the amount of other denominations of money. Dimes earned the classes a positive amount, while any other money decreased the amount in the jar. “It was a way to get all the students involved, show a little competitiveness and to raise money that would all go back to the classes’ treasury,” stated by Ms. Meade, senior advisor.

However, this year was disappointing, as well. This year the least amount of money ever was collected during Dime Wars and the least amount of items were donated. All items donated are going to local charities for the disadvantaged.

This year’s Pep Rally contained the scavenger hunt; students sit with their class, and Mrs. Meade calls students to search for random objects in their pockets or purses. The object is passed to a class officer and eventually brought onto the football field. The class doing this the fastest receives points. After the scavenger hunt, class moderators and class officers played musical chairs. Nick Filzen representing the Junior class won this event for the class of 2015. Finally, class participation was needed for a 3 legged race around the track as students in the bleachers cheered on their classmates.

Even though there wasn’t as much prize money as previous years, Spirit Week allowed students to show school spirit and their outgoing personality. At the end of Spirit Week and after the Pep Rally winner was announced. For the school year of 2013-2014 the senior class took the 1st place , 2nd place was given to class of 2015, and third was tied with classes 2016 and 2017.