Muse about MUSE

MUSE logo and lead guitarist and vocalist, Matthew Bellamy.
Photo Credit: Photo via anglerz.com under the Creative Commons License

MUSE, is an alternative British rock band that was formed in 1994 and consists of childhood friends Matthew Bellamy, Christopher Wolstenholme, and Dominic Howard.

Meet the Band

Lead guitarist and vocalist, Matthew Bellamy.

Matthew James Bellamy was born on June 9, 1978 in Cambridge, England and is 36 years old. Kate Hudson is his fiancée and they have a son, Bingham Hawn “Bing” Bellamy who was born in July 2011. Matthew Bellamy is the lead vocalist, lead guitarist, plays the piano, the keyboard, and the keytar for the band.

Christopher Tony “Chris” Wolstenholme was born on December 2, 1978 in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England and is 35 years old. He is married to his long-time girlfriend Kelly in 2003. He has six kids; Alfie (born in July 1999), Ava-Jo (born 2001), Frankie (born 2003), Ernie (born 2008), Buster (born 2010) and Teddi (born 2012). He plays bass guitar, the keyboard, and does some vocals. He also wrote and sang two songs on the album The 2nd Law, Liquid State and Save Me. Both of the songs were written about him quitting alcohol.

Dominic James Howard was born on December 7, 1977 in Stockport, England and is 36 years old. He plays the drums, percussion, and synthesizersfor the band.

The band is known for their energetic and extravagant live performances. Their target audiences are both males and females from their mid-teens (around 16) to the age of 30. They are also known for their fusion of many different types of music genres. These genres include space rock, progressive rock, alternative rock, symphonic rock, and electronica. They also mix sounds from genres such as hard rock, experimental rock, classical music, rock opera, and many others.

The Music

Bass guitarist and keyboardist, Christopher Wolstenholme.
Photo Credit: Photo via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Wolstenholme under the Creative Commons License

MUSE has released 6 studio albums: Showbiz (1999), Origin of Symmetry (2001), Absolution (2003), Black Holes and Revelations (2006), The Resistance (2009), and The 2nd Law (2012). They also have four live albums, Hullabaloo Soundtrack (2002), which is also a compilation of B-sides, Absolution Tour, which documents several of the band’s performances such as Glastonbury Festival 2004 (2005), HAARP (2008), which documents the band’s performances at Wembley Stadium in 2007 and Live at Rome Olympic Stadium and was taken from the band’s successful Rome show during The 2nd Law World Tour. The band also has their own website, muse.mu where their fans can look at their tour dates and places, listen to their music, and look at pictures.

MUSE plays emotional songs. Some of the songs can make people sad while others can be uplifting. Some make people feel better when they’re sad and others can make people really hyper and want to dance around. Other songs have lyrics that really make their audience think. Their songs are usually about world events, the end of the world, hyperspace, technology, religion, George Orwell’s ‘1984’ (for ‘Resistance’), among other subjects.

The band is very unique and isn’t afraid to express what they feel or think about something through their music. That’s how they get their message across. They are talented and are good with making the transition of their music when it comes to starting with one genre of music to going into another genre within one song.

One major reason why MUSE is a talented and a liked band by people around the world is because the lyrics of their songs always have something to say. There is always a message in them. Whether people agree with what the band is trying to get across or not, it gets them thinking about it. That’s most likely what the members are trying to do. They are trying to get people to think about things they wouldn’t have thought about and become aware of it. People don’t necessarily have to agree with what they’re saying, but just to be aware is good enough.

Drummer, Dominic Howard.
Photo Credit: Photo via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Howard under the Creative Commons License
Drummer, Dominic Howard.

One thing that is negative about the band is that unlike most bands, MUSE is an older group that younger people might not find attractive or can relate to as much in some cases. Some of their songs are not necessarily appropriate for the younger audience. Another thing that is somewhat negative about them is that for certain songs their audience needs to have a bit of background information on it, otherwise they wouldn’t really know what they’re talking about or trying to express in that song.

Their music might not be for everyone, but they have so many different genres and messages within their songs that there’s bound to be at least one song for every person.