• May 31Yearbook party is June 6th during blocks 1 and 2 (have to have purchased a yearbook)
  • May 30June 7- BSU's Juneteenth cookout - $2 per block
  • May 30SAT on June 1
  • May 30Prom is 5/31 - Have fun and stay safe

Are North Faces All That?

Photo Credit: Sam Pucci
The North Face’s half dome logo can be seen on many high school students and teacher’s coats.

The Story

In 1966 two hiking enthusiasts followed their passions and founded a small mountaineering retail store. Soon after, it became known as The North Face. The retail store sold high-performance climbing and backpacking equipment. Through the years as The North Face improved they became more popular while branching out adding extreme skiwear to the product offering. In the 90s The North Face half dome logo began to appear with greater regularity on high-country trails and big walls.

“And, as the years passed The North Face launched its own line of trekking and trail-running shoes to address the head-to-toe needs of those always striving for the next horizon,” as said by the creators of The North Face.

Now about 50 years later The North Face delivers an extensive line of apparel, footwear, and accessories fitting to any need of someone wanting to explore.

The North Face company asserts, “We remain deeply proud to be the first choice of the world’s most accomplished climbers, mountaineers, extreme skiers, snowboarders, endurance runners, and explorers.”

How It Compares

Like any coat/jacket The North Face is designed to keep you as warm as possible with the exception of the vests and lighter jackets. Their most famous fleece, The Denali Hoodie,which is around $199, is made with 54% recycled content and bluesign® approved fabric is the perfect jacket for kids and adults in spring/fall weather. For some people this jacket is their winter jacket, but it is made for warmth in cool-to-cold conditions. Given a 4.7, the jacket is extremely popular and is even worn by many famous people including Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock and our nation’s leader, President Barack Obama.

“I really love it! I like the range of colors and the warmth the jacket provides,” said sophomore Stephanie Kontra.

Some other brands for winter jackets range from person to person, but a popular company is Columbia.

Since 1938 Columbia delivers authentic, outdoor, high-value products for active consumers of all ages.Their most famous jacket Women’s Lay Down‘D’ Jacket, which is around $230,features Omni-Shield Shell 100% polyester Act II Satin and has thermal reflective warmth also including water and stain repellent. This jacket is perfect for cold-very cold weather and will keep you very warm while still being stylish and comfortable. The jacket, which was rated 4.9 stars is worn and loved by many and is true to its sizing.

“I did research on the jackets and when you see the weather man it always says Columbia. I tried LL Bean, North Face and then Columbia and it said that lining keeps you warm. The first time I wore it was at the Championship Football Game and  I was warm, I was dry and all I had on underneath was Under Armour and a t-shirt. I am ready to take it it skiing!” Vice Principal Jennifer Murphy said.

Overall there is a difference between jackets and the warmth they provide, but it can really just depend on personal opinion and could also depend on where you live.