Colonia collects toys for the less fortunate

Photo Credit: Staff of the Declaration
Students take a picture with all the toys that were collected.
Less fortunate children will be very happy when Santa brings them all these fun toys!
Photo Credit: Staff of the Declaration

Monday, November 24th through Wednesday, November 26th Colonia High School had their first Toys for Tots Battle of the Blocks.  All 3rd block classes were encouraged to bring in toys the week of November 24th to earn points that were predetermined by Mrs. Linda Brennan, Special Education English teacher and Co-Advisor for Interact Club.  By the end of the week, over one thousand toys were collected.

The toys were designated with points, the bigger the toy the more points you received from it.  The point system was determined by the approximate cost of the toy.  Classes could not win by having more toys but having more points.  The point system was very general and Brennan plans to have more varying point systems next year since the school received such a variety of toys.

Block 3 students were encouraged to bring in toys and earn points for the class.  At the end of the week the class with the most points won a trip to Buffalo Wild Wings for  a free buffet lunch.

Brennan plans to partner with Buffalo Wild Wings again next year for the Toys for Tots campaign. “Buffalo Wild Wings was extremely generous; they provided a FREE buffet for 50 students including: boneless and regular wings with a variety of sauces, pulled pork sliders, french fries, corn dog nuggets, and salad. They have already stated that they would like to partner with us for Toys for Tots next year.”

Next year there will also be a few rule changes including a larger, more diverse point system and a rule forbidding any class from bringing in an abundance of silly and tiny toys just to receive points.

The first and second place classes, Mr. Jason Prusik and Mr. Daniel Hutchinson class, were rewarded with the trip to Buffalo Wild Wings.  Their classes behaved so well at the restaurant that Buffalo Wild Wings sent food back to the school for the third place class, Mr. Drew Biri’s class.

Student tries to get all the toys in one picture.
Photo Credit: Stephanie Kontra

The Toys for Tots campaign was developed by the U.S. Marine Corps.  Brennan explains that it is an important to promote social and community awareness for important causes.  “As a teacher, it is my belief that we must teach lessons that extend far beyond the classroom. Campaigns like this provide each of us with the opportunity to be more responsible and productive citizens, helping to effect a positive social change,” explained Brennan.

The toys collected during the battle were delivered to the Toys for Tots Train in Pompton Lakes, NJ on December 6th.  Working with the Supervisor of Science Gr. K-12, Ms. Kelly Aker, students and members of the North Jersey Jeep Club helped transport the toys.  This gave them the opportunity to thank the marines personally for all the sacrifices they have made.