Tribute to the Celebs walking the red carpet in the sky

2014 has been a memorable year, but sadly some memories are now discontinued. As with every year, 2014 has seen the loss of several beloved celebrities that have impacted the world in many ways.

Perhaps the most shocking death of this past year was that of treasured actor and comedian Robin Williams. Williams will forever be known for his classic films such as Goodwill Hunting, Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, and many, many more. The Golden Globe, Grammy and Oscar winning actor had a career that spanned several decades. His final movie performance was in Night at the Museum 3, which is being released on December 19th of this year. Williams died on August 11th of this year, in a suicide at his home in California. He had been fighting severe depression and early stages of Parkinson’s disease. The tragedy shed new light on the importance of treating and identifying mental illness, as it has been too late for so many.

Another far-too-young loss of this past year was that of Philip Seymour Hoffman. The Academy Award winning actor is known for his roles in Capote, films Charlie Wilson’s War, and the Hunger Games. He will live on in film in the two-part Hungers Games: Mockingjay films, which are posthumous releases for Hoffman. Like Williams death months later, Hoffman’s shed light on a topical issue of our society: drug addiction. Hoffman died on February 2nd, of an accidental overdose, with several substances mixed together. He was 46 years old.

The passing of legendary American movie star Lauren Bacall was on August 12th, somewhat overshadowed by Robin Williams’ death the day before. Bacall will not be forgotten though, as she had a film career that spanned eight decades. Notable performances of hers include To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep both with Humphrey Bogart, The Walker, and dozens more. She was 89.

Iconic radio host Casey Kasem was another person lost in 2014. Kasem was a successful radio host and voice actor since the 1950s. He voiced Shaggy on Scooby-Doo for decades. He died on June 15th after his condition deteriorated from Parkinson’s and Lewy body dementia. He was 82.

Icon of all things Americana Shirley Temple also passed away this year, on February 10th. She was 85. Temple was one of the most popular film stars of the 1930s, as only a small child. She sang and danced her way into the hearts of Americans for decades to come. After her childhood career ended, she became a two-time United States ambassador (Ghana and Czechoslovakia), as well as Chief of Protocol under president Ford. Temple died of natural causes in her home surrounded by family.

Legendary British filmmaker Richard Attenborough was also lost this past year. Attenborough began his career as an actor, appearing films like Jurassic Park and The Great Escape. He directed Gandhi, and won two Academy Awards for his work (best director and best picture). Attenborough died in London, on August 24th, five days before his 90th birthday.

With a career in film spanning from the 1920s to the 2010s, Mickey Rooney was surely a memorable entertainer. From his first Academy Award in 1938 to his last in 1983, Rooney has starred in countless movies. Amid various controversies and career dips, Rooney has managed to never let his name be forgotten. At the ripe old age of 93, Rooney passed away whilst napping after lunch at his stepson’s home in Los Angeles.

Asides from those in the film industry, famed poet and cultural icon Maya Angelou was also lost this year. Angelou was arguably the most famous poet alive. Close friends with Oprah Winfrey, Angelou remained a solid face in the portrait of American culture for several decades. She died on May 28th at the age of 86, at her North Carolina home.

Lastly, the world lost one of the loudest voices in entertainment: Joan Rivers. A pioneering comedienne since the 1950s, Rivers made the life of single women an empowering laugh, rather than looked down upon as it was in the 50s and 60s. Rivers shoved her way into the male-dominated TV industry, making appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and having her own late-night talk show: The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers. Up until her untimely death, Rivers was the lead host of the popular Fashion Police, on E!. This made her a beloved figure for younger generations as well. Rivers always said whatever was on her mind, often making her a brash center for controversy, but also vulgar hilarity. She always pushed the envelope. Rivers was fully active until she passed away after going into cardiac arrest during surgery on her vocal cords. She was 81, far too young for her. Even with the controversy surrounding her death, Rivers stayed committed to charity as she had while alive. She left millions of her estate to charity.

Ultimately 2014 would have been better if these people had not been lost. However in light of things that cannot be changed, it is important to remember everyone lost in 2014.