Golden Globe 2015 Fashion Rundown

The 2015 Golden Globes on Sunday were full of surprising wins and some disappointing losses. But asides from the awards themselves, there were plenty of interesting looks on the red carpet.

The Golden Globes are perennially the first major award show of the year, showcasing what will be the biggest trends of the coming year. The Globes are also a more relaxed and casual event than the Oscars, which are generally more uptight. Combining television and movies, the Golden Globes feature a huge array of TV and film stars, as well as musical heavyweights that also were nominated or presenting. As always with fashion, there were hits and misses, here are the best and worst of the Golden Globes.

There were plenty of classic looks on the carpet this year, starting off with Jessica Chastain’s timeless Atelier Versace dress, reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe. Another old-timey look on the carpet this year was old-timey songstress herself Lana Del Rey. Even though Del Rey’s style is usually an eclectic mix of past decades, her 1960s-esque teal gown was unfortunately ill-fitting. She did however execute the 1960s bouffant hair in a typically Lana fashion. Felicity Jones donned a large blue gown, by Dior couture. It fit her like a glove and was just plain Hollywood glamour. Speaking of gloves, new Hollywood royalty Amal Clooney paired her own white gloves with her stunning black Dior dress. Although the gloves bought a taste of old Hollywood fashion, they were too big for the new Mrs. George Clooney’s slim arms. Regardless, the new power couple looked amazing, even if George wore his wedding tuxedo (which he admitted to).

Another accessory that George and Amal showcased were “Je Suis Charlie” pins, a common sight and topic at the Globes this year in light of the recent events. The pin means “I am Charlie” and was meant to show the couple’s support for Paris after their recent terrorist attacks. The always lovely Helen Mirren wore an interesting pen pin on her Dolce & Gabbana dress, showing solidarity with the Charlie Hedbo tragedy. Even at 69 years old, Mirren can still rock a skin tight gown.

The other older Hollywood stars also showed up at this year’s Golden Globes. A special appearance by Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin was a hilarious bit during the show. Unfortunately, Fonda’s Versace dress was also a hilarious mess that seems to resemble fabric being torn apart and stitched back together. Regardless, the fact that Fonda is 77 and wearing a slim red Versace piece gives her a pass. Lily Tomlin’s black dress complimented her as well. American Horror Story star Jessica Lange wore J. Mendel this year, but the maroon gown was underwhelming, with oddly structured sleeves. Either way Lange is a true Hollywood icon, and no bad dress can take that away from her.

Amy Adams baby blue piece by Versace was a definite hit, as were the yellow dresses worn by Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Naomi Watts (with a jaw-dropping diamond encrusted snake necklace) and Leslie Mann. Silver and shiny dresses like Julianne Moore’s Givenchy piece, Dakota Johnson’s Chanel Haute Couture, Reese Witherspoon’s Calvin Klein, Diane Krugar’s Emilia Wickstead piece and Kate Beckinsale’s were also very well-received. Jennifer Aniston wore a black Saint Laurent dress with a halter top, which looked great if maybe a little casual. She also wore her hair up; different for the iconic Friends star and the signature “Rachel cut.”

Perhaps the most modern departure for style this year were the two stunning pant suits on this year’s red carpet. Already unique singer Lorde showed up in a stunning black pantsuit with a crop top by Narciso Rodriguez, paired with a sharp statement necklace. It’s hard to believe that she is only 18 with such a matured style. Young Hollywood starlet Emma Stone also donned a striking pantsuit. Hers had a crystalline strapless top and an odd, but definitely great bow attached to the back. These modern looks prove that women don’t need to wear dresses to be formal at events like this.

Decidedly different dresses were in short supply at this year’s Golden Globes. However, Lupita Nyong’o’s floral purple and white Giambattista Valli Haute Couture was an artsy departure. Perhaps too much was going on in the look with the fully-floral top half and colorful earrings, but Nyong’o nevertheless owned it. Different for anyone else but her, Jennifer Lopez strutted onto the red carpet in a Zuhair Murad dress with a plunging neckline and matching high leg slit. A very typical look for J-Lo for nearly the past twenty years, it seems chintzy at the Globes. Not to knock the fact that she is one of the best looking 45-year-olds on the planet, but her dress just screamed “trying too hard.” Another dress with a statement plunging ‘V’ was Kate Hudson’s Atelier Versace. The white gown fit Hudson perfectly, and also featured studded slits on the sides.

A very unfortunate look this year was the usually stunning Keira Knightly. Her custom Chanel was far too busy covered with handmade butterflies and feathers. Her massive butterfly bracelet was also a distraction. Another over-accessorized look was that of always-goddess-looking Salma Hayek. Not that she looked any less godly at this year’s Golden Globes, but her beautiful Alexander McQueen gown was jaw-dropping enough on its own. The big jewels and hair flower were unnecessary. The Affair actress Ruth Wilson wore a Prada piece accented by contour lines. Interesting to see, the dress worked overall for Wilson. But that doesn’t even matter, because she went home with the Globe. Scandal star Kerry Washington wore custom Mary Katrantzou, which was a good look for her, even if it was an awkward length. Claire Danes’ Valentino dress had way too much going on, and was also ill-fitting. Allison Williams’ Armani Prive gown was a symphony in red, with unique layers. Austrian Singer/drag queen and Eurovision 2014 winner Conchita Wurst killed it on the red carpet too, in a striking green dress with a leg slit rivalling J-Lo’s. One last “unique” look was that of Rosamund Pike. Her Vera Wang gown fit in what could be called a tragic manner. All the straps were in all the wrong places and it just came off as a boring failure.

Overall, like any year, the Golden Globes were full of eye-catching looks, for good and bad reasons.