Big Splash made by Metuchen as they defeat the Patriots

The+swim+team+gets+roweled+up+for+the+meet+with+a+loud+cheer.+
Photo Credit: Photo by Lors Photography from Lors studio used with permission.
The swim team gets roweled up for the meet with a loud cheer.

The Varsity Co-Ed swim team started their season on Tuesday November 18th with their first practice. With meets quickly approaching the team worked hard to get in shape and be prepared for their first meet against Wardlaw-Hartridge on December 1, 2014.

The captains of the team this year are Seniors Kaitlyn O’Donnell, Jasmine Muniz, and Nick Anan. There are many returning swimmers including Sophomores Armand Dutreuil, Devin Moran, Stephanie Kontra, and Samantha Dobbin and Juniors Peter Theologis, Mike Degraw,Lauren Knef and Anjali Gorden.Along with the returning swimmers the team has welcomed some new ones like Freshmen Anthony Piccininni, Kyle Foster,Shelby Picinic and Monica Burzynka.

The team is coached by History Teacher Lindsay Chang, and this being her first year coaching at CHS she is excited for the season.

“I think we will do very well, possibly better than last year.We have a great batch of kids, and I can’t complain.” Chang said. The team as of this meet is 2-5.

“We are practicing a lot and preparing for the meet. I think its a really good season and we have good swimmers.” Freshman Anthony Piccininni said.

The meet starts with a warm up from both teams.
Photo Credit: Sam Pucci

Going into the meet on Wednesday January 14th against Metuchen High at the Woodbridge Community Center the team is anxious. Metuchen team is split into two varsity teams of boys and girls. The girls team is 4-0 and the boys are 3-2.

Starting off the meet were the teams cheers, Colonia’s was an exciting and loud one. The 1st event of the meet was the 200 medley Relay,Metuchen won which included swimmers Michael Spark, Jeffrey Lin, Chris Roberts, Victor Laeson with a time of 1:50.24. Next was the 200 freestyle and swimming for colonia was Sam Dobbin, Kaitlyn O’Donnell and Nicole Dlugosz.Metuchen’s swimmer Michael Spark came in 1st with the time 2:07.05.

Following the 200 free is the 200 IM which Kyle Foster won with a time of  2:17.71.

Next race was the 50 free and John Piccinic won and his time was 24.70 and was following after his twin sister’s running speed.

After the quick 5 minute break the meet continued with the 100 fly, and swimming for Colonia was Charlie Monzo, Monica Burzynska, and Stephanie Kontra.Winning that event was nationally ranked swimmer Monica Burzynska who won with a time of 59.79. 100 freestyle was the next event and swimming for Colonia was Shelby Piccinic, Chris Pear, and Mike DeGraw. Metuchen won that race with a time of 57.51 was Luke Schapes.

The meet continues with the 500 freestyle and Colonia’s swimmers were Jasmine Muniz, John Piccinic, and Kaitlyn O’Donnell and Metuchen’s  Julie Stankiewicz came in first with the time 5:27.20.

The next event was the 200 Free Relay and Colonia dominated with the time 1:57.18. The lane included swimmers Kelly Bracuto, Chris Pear, Michael DeGraw, and Nick Anan.

Following that was the 100 back and Metuchen came in 1st with a time of  58.76 which was obtained by Michael Spark.

Description of all the high school swimming events.
Photo Credit: Sam Pucci

The next event was the 100 breaststroke and Colonia’s swimmers were Danielle DeGraw, Kyle Foster, Anjali Gordon, but Metuchen Jeffrey Lin won with a time of 1:05.86.

The last event of the meet was the 400 relay and Colonia’s swimmers were anxious. Colonia came in 1st and in the lane were swimmers Christopher Pear, Monika Burzynska, Kyle Foster, John Piccinic who finished with the time 4:05.45.

The final score of the meet was 103-67 Metuchen. Colonia’s next meet is January 26th against both JFK and Woodbridge. The team is a great group of kids and they are very excited about their season.