Kanye commits second faux pas at awards

At the 57th Annual Grammys, history is repeated when Kanye West went to interrupt Beck Hanson as he is giving his acceptance speech. West describes the incident as a joke, but is there more to it?

February 8, 2015 the 57th Annual Grammy Awards Show held at the Staples Center, was yet again a historic night, and not only for the notable performers. Musician and songwriter Beck Hanson (known by the stage name Beck) won the award for Album of the Year for his album Morning Phase. As Beck was preparing to accept his award, West rushed up the stage, only to sit back down seconds later. West did not say anything, but he caught the attention of Beck, the audience, and the viewers at home.

This was the first award show West has attended since the 2009 VMA’s, where West interrupted the 2009 VMA winner for 2009 Best Female Video of the Year, Taylor Swift. West received negative comments from the press for his actions in his past two award show visits. Now the question remains rumored around the country, should West be banned?

West reported that the voices in his head told him to go up stage, but the intention was not to take anything away from Beck’s accomplishment. “I just know that the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us,” West told E!

What Kanye failed to realize is that in Beck’s award winning album Morning Phase Beck has played the instruments  and wrote the songs for the album, compared to Beyonce who did not write her own songs.

132893-050-22EC5127
Kanye West interrupts a young Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards. Photo Credit: Kids Brittanica

Chris Mccabe, a sophomore at Colonia High School commented, “No, West shouldn’t be banned…because he’s a majestic artist and inspires all children to become a great artist as himself.”

Pop icon Madonna told Rolling Stone News some advice for West. She reported West should just go to the shows to have a good time, and not go after any justice.

James Keister, a sophomore at Colonia High School stated, “Based on his immature, pride-accessed actions I would personally have no problem with West being banned from any award ceremonies based on his previous actions…. West’s pride and self-proclaimed ‘God’ status make him an inevitable time-bomb, waiting to voice his opinion…that he is better than everyone else. West’s wealth and popularity do not warrant such actions from anyone, it is unacceptable and being banned may be what he needs to realize his actions are not okay….”