Marching Patriots take the big stage At Rutgers University

There’s nothing that makes your heart drop than sounds of roaring fans in the stands awaiting your performance. You have only one moment to shine.

The Colonia High School Marching Patriots recently performed at the State Competition at Rutger’s Stadium. The band has been building their show up for this one moment, and they truly let all their talents shine.

“The Marching Patriots did an outstanding job this year and accomplished a lot.  We were able to accomplish the very challenging task of performing a show that was both award winning at competitions, while still being enjoyable to the football crowd.  I think the staff’s choice of Beatlemania this year was a hit with both fans and performers alike due to the fact that the music is very fun and recognizable.  The challenging part of developing the show was trying to squeeze in as many familiar Beatles tunes as possible in such a short amount of time.  We were able to incorporate seven different songs into the show in seven minutes which I think kept it moving while adding excitement.  The competition results prove that the judges enjoyed our show as well; we were awarded: 1st Place at South Plainfield, 1st Place at JP Stevens (tie), 3rd place at Toms River, and we were also earned individual awards for Best Guard, Best Effect, and Best Visuals twice,” said Marching Band Director, Mr. Kevin Perdoni, proudly.

The Marching Patriots practiced almost every day during the week, including Wednesday stadium practices, where they marched continuously outside for 4 hours straight. Body slides, crab walks, marching in time, were all keys to their success.

“I am extremely proud of everyone, especially the freshmen,” prounced Drum Major Sara Salotti, “We had so many practices, and they never complained. They always gave it their all, practicing on and off the field, improving their techniques, and never giving up.”

The Marching Patriots performed at states on October 19, 2013. They performed their 2013 show, 50 Years of Beatlemania. By far, everyone believed that the Marching Bands State Performance was the best. As Mr. Perdoni would say: “They left it on the field.”

“Perdoni always told us to leave it out on the field. It didn’t matter how high we scored or how high we placed, as long as we left every inch of our talent on that field. That’s all that mattered to him.” said flute player, Danielle Coppola (Grade 10).

After their performance, the Marching Patriots watched other bands from all around NJ. They enjoyed bonding, sharing laughs and creating memories. Finally, when it was time to hear the results, they all huddled up together. At every single competition, the Marching Patriots link arms together and wait to hear the results. The stadium was completely silent. Breaking the silence, the announcer awarded Marching Patriots 9th out of 11, beating their cross-town rival John F. Kennedy.

To many people, 9th out of 11 doesn’t sound like the best, but in all honesty, the Marching Patriots couldn’t be prouder of themselves. “States was a very special moment for all of us. For most of us, that was the biggest field we have ever marched on. From the support of the band parents to the support of other students, our school spirit was unreal. This year we accomplished so many goals that we haven’t reached in other years, and I honestly couldn’t be any prouder to be this year’s Drum Major. States was a memory I honestly will never forget,” explained Drum Major Sara Salotti.