Buy a Yearbook; Lock in the Memories For a Lifetime

It’s the time of the year again to start ordering a yearbook. Colonia High School will be selling yearbooks until the January 17, 2014 deadline. One can easily order a yearbook online at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com.

The yearbook advisors are Mrs. Lombardi, Mr. Kurowsky, and Mr. Cerchio. Prices for yearbooks depend on what package one gets. There are many different packages: The Arch package (yearbook only): $95, the Blue package (yearbook & name stamp): $100, the In A Word package (yearbook, extra autograph pages & cover): $100, the Patriot package (yearbook & Picture This): $105, and the last package is the Gold package (yearbook, picture this, autograph pages, cover & World yearbook): $110.

On September 30, Kurowsky stated, “We finalized our ad prices for this year.  A 1/8-page ad (business card size) costs $50.  1/4-page $75.  1/2 page $125. Full page $250.  In addition, to give students an incentive to sell ads to local businesses, we are offering a ‘sell one, get one’ promotion.  Any student who sells a business ad will receive FREE space for a personal ad.  Sell 1/8 of page; get a free 1/8.  Sell any other size, get a free 1/4 page for a personal ad that can be used by students, family, and friends to pass along congratulations and best wishes to graduates.”

Every year there is a new and improved theme. This year’s theme is “In A Word.” “A select [group] of seniors chose this theme because of the flexibility in design. They came up with some really great ideas to help this year’s yearbook look fresh and contemporary, reflecting the graduating class of 2014,” stated Ms. Lombardi.

Seniors want to stand out and show why the Colonia High School experience is different than every other high school experience.  “The fall semester’s Yearbook class has just begun designing their pages and, let me just say, I am very impressed with their sense of camaraderie, motivation, and creativity,” Lombardi explained.

Prices vary between the packages depending upon the extra accessories purchased; however every single student no matter what grade level pays the same price for the yearbook. As Mrs. Lombardi explained, “Whether a freshman or a senior just bought the Arch package, they both will pay $95.”

As usual the seniors are the ones who usually buy the yearbooks. Not many underclassmen buy yearbooks; many underclassmen believe they don’t need a yearbook as much as the upperclassmen do and they’re not the ones graduating. However, that fact doesn’t overshadow the successful rates of sales per year. In a statement Kurowsky claimed, “[But] the underclassmen do make up a portion of our sales each year, probably 15-20%.”

It is the students who create the yearbook; they design every single page in the yearbook. Ms. Lombardi’s duty is to instruct, critique, and facilitate. Lombardi explained, “As I told the Yearbook class on the first day of school: You are not a class of students. You are a room of Staffers. I am your Editor in Chief. I encourage students to work in teams to create the best possible yearbook spreads (like checks and balances) and I, of course, am there to critique, offer suggestions, and correct/revise/adapt final spreads with a fine-toothed comb.”