Vinyl records are coming back in style again

Photo Credit: Alex Savage
Vintage style record players are great for people who enjoy music and would like to start a hobby of collecting vinyl records.

When you think of vinyl records the first word that will come to mind maybe old or outdated. Vinyl records were all the rage from the 1940’s to the early 80’s but they disappeared at the turn of the century. However vinyl records have been making a slow comeback in the recent years.

Since its comeback a lot of people have been purchasing record players and vinyls as more of a novelty item or a trend since in present day we have radios, Ipods and CDs.

Mashable.com found that the amount of vinyl sales have risen to the point of where they were in the 90s’ opposed to the early 2000’s.

The sound quality on records are of course going to pale in comparison to digital based music. Some people actually like the sounds of the pops and crackles in records but it will not offer the best sound quality if you intend on playing clear amplified music.

Many musical artists like Adele, Drake, Marina and the Diamonds, Beyonce and Ed Sheeran have been creating vinyl editions of their albums for sale in stores or online.

Some retail stores that carry vinyl records include Barnes & Nobles, F.Y.E , Target and Urban Outfitters. Depending on how old an album or the edition, records can range in price between $14.00 and $60.00. Amazon.com has a large selection of vinyl if what you are looking for isn’t available in stores.

Record players alone can be somewhat pricey. Players such as the Crosley Cruiser turntable in the featured image above go for an average price of $70.00 but more intricate and higher quality systems can range anywhere between $100.00 and $300.00

Maintaining records and record players is key. Proper regular care must be followed to ensure the sound quality and longevity of both the records and the record players. Make sure that your records are free of dust and debris, this can damage them and alter the sound of the records. Always keep your records in their album sleeve if not in use and do not leave them in an environment that is too hot or cold. Doing so could result in damage of the records as well.

It is important to use a turntable carefully. The arms of the turntables are very fragile, moving them abrasively can not only increase the risk of the arm breaking off but can also cause damage to the grooves in the records if one is in use.

If you are looking for a great birthday or holiday gift a record player can be a great choice for friends or family.