Colonia High School participates in Uganda walk-a-thon

On Friday May 29th, Colonia High School student and staff participated in the “Walk for Uganda“ charity event. The event was set up by the Interact Club which is run by Mrs. Brennan and Ms. Davidson.

The organization, Heart for People, connected schools here in America with poverty stricken schools in Uganda, helping them achieve the education that they deserve. For just $5.00 students were able to purchase a wristband that let them skip one block of the day to walk the track for the entire block. The event was equipped with a DJ and even opportunities to win prizes and even play some carnival games.

The interact club is a club in which students receive the opportunity to not only meet new people but as well as participate in community services opportunity and help improve our community as well.

Students had the opportunity to purchase a wristband during their lunch period for $5.00 and wrote down what block they had wanted to get excused from in order to participate in the event.

The event was a huge success, pooling in more than 100 students per block and raising over $3,000 in cash for students in Uganda.

“Mrs. Brennan and I were able to organize this event with the Heart for People. Heart for People is an organization that helps fund student’s education in Uganda. With the help of student volunteers, we were able to make this a successful event,” added Ms. Davidson, English Teacher and co-adviser of the Interact Club.

Not only did the Interact Club think the event was very beneficial and successful students who participated in the event had a great timing , not only because they skipped class but because they felt like they were making a difference as well.

“I am glad I participated in the Walk-A-Thon. The small donation I made went to a good cause and it let me get out of my fourth block class,” Theodore Coursen, an 11th grader at Colonia High remarked.

Not only did the event benefit those kids in Uganda, it also brought Colonia High School together to make a change in the world. It made them feel as if they were making a difference even if they did only donate $5. It is unclear if the Walk-A-Thon will take place next year as well, but with the positive reaction it had this year, our students will be pretty disappointed if there wasn’t one next year.