Incoming Freshmen learning the ropes

On August 31st and September 1st CHS had their orientation for the incoming freshmen class. This orientation was to help the transition of the incoming freshmen from middle school to high school.

While preparing them for not only regular high school standards, the CHS staff also prepared the Class of 2019 to uphold academic standards, attend class regularly, participate in the school activities and join clubs.

This year’s freshmen orientation was 2 days instead of one.  Colonia was the only school to make this change. With the help of administration, staff and 50 peer leaders were carefully chosen after completing an application, and orientation ran smoothly. Vice Principal, Mrs. Jennifer Murphy, who is in charge of orientation, said “those two days gave them enough time and did not come at them with too much information at once.”

This year had the best turnout of all years with 302 out of 331 freshmen showing up.

fo4The orientation consisted of a tour around the building, anti-bullying assemblies and different ice breakers along with prizes. “While the kids were nervous, the ice breakers truly broke the tension,” said Mrs. Ann Dinicola, guidance counselor and bullying specialist.

She gave a half hour speech to the parents about the anti-bully law that is in effect in New Jersey. She explained what the Harassment Intimidation and Bullying (HIB) was. “Parents as well as the new students were very receptive of the presentation,” said Dinicola.

One big new change for incoming freshmen is the Freshmen Academy. Freshmen Academy is a set course that teaches readiness for future life. Every freshman now takes a marking period of a course, College Career Readiness (CCR). This class gives them the knowledge and insight to what they need to do to not only getting into the college of their choice but also helps them with a career and opportunity’s that can arise if you are ready and “prepared” for them. If you would like to know more about it you can check the page on Colonia High School’s website http://www.woodbridge.k12.nj.us/Domain/1857.

fo7

Ryan Campbell, freshman, stated that the best part of orientation for him was the no tolerance policy and anti-bully team here at CHS.

On day two of the orientation, students attended the activity fair where various clubs at Colonia set up informational booths for the freshmen.

If you attended orientation at Colonia, they would love your feedback.

In the past years, orientation has only been one day and was about 2 hours. Freshmen got their school ID photos taken; their class schedules and a quick tour around the school explain the different hallways and the represented subjects. They also received an assembly about the differences in grading, freedoms and responsibilities they have in high school. Most importantly, freshman learned the standards they are held to at Colonia High School.