A/B Day Scheduling in Colonia High School

This+picture+shows+the+A%2C+B+classes+first+on+this+students+schedule.+
Photo Credit: Amanda Rivera
This picture shows the A, B classes first on this students schedule.

As the 2015-2016 school year began, Colonia High School, the Administration, decided to enforce A/B schedule to all students.

A/B schedule include days that alternate every other day, in which students take a different class. For example, a student may have an English class on and A day, and a math class on a B day. If a student has A/B day classes they are required to take that class all year. Most of these A/B day classes consist of math and English classes. This is said to be set this way due to the new PSAT and PARC testing taking place.
According to the AASA explains “which is in place in roughly 30 percent of the nation’s secondary schools.”

Ms.  Margaret Chen,  Geometry teacher in Colonia High School teaches A/B day classes along with many other math/English teachers. “I feel mostly good about A/B scheduling. I think that in many ways it will help both students and teachers alike. Students have an extra day to complete their work and I strongly believe that our scores on standardized tests will rise because students will have math for the entire year,” said Chen.

Photo via https://pixabay.com/p-150375/?no_redirect under the Creative Commons license.
Photo Credit: https://pixabay.com/p-150375/?no_redirect

“As far as lesson planning goes, I don’t have to plan too much in a week because I’m teaching the same lesson the next day. However, I now have ALL of my students. It’s a little overwhelming at first but I think it will be nice to actually get to know my students and see them grow,” said Chen about the benefits teachers might see.

According to stafford.schoolfusion.us, Colonial Forge High School thinks it allows teachers to get “more time to get to know their students’ strengths, needs, and preferred ways of learning.” They also state that it creates “more opportunities to address various learning styles of students, integrate instructional technologies…”

“Reinforcement of material will be affected. Teachers have to wait two days to see the students and tell them what they did right or wrong. Quicker responses to misconceptions are instrumental in learning new material,”  said Chen about the downfall of A/B schedule.

Student, Rana Rezk, a sophomore at CHS discussed her opinion towards A/B day scheduling. When asked about how she felt about A/B days she said, “It’s alright, although it’s kind of confusing.” Interestingly, when she was asked if A/B days makes it harder to study  for tests and quizzes she said, “Yes, if I would have any questions about something I’m confused about, I would have to wait until I see the teacher next. I always end up forgetting the question until the test, unfortunately.” She was also questioned if she felt it was harder to get caught up if she was absent. She said, “Yes, I feel that it’s really complicated to find the teacher and get the work.”

Many schools across the nation are implementing A/B day classes. Most schools consider A/B day classes very effective while some reflect the negative aspects.